Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#26629 by dchoe
Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:35 am
I am assuming the scout will not work with the telo and was wondering how to setup the 2nd line. I am mainly trying to figure out how to have a dedicated line just for the fax machine like I could with the hub/scout system.
#26633 by hpepper
Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:38 am
correct... The Scout won't work with the Telo. You could plug in the fax machine into Telo base and purchase a Telo hanset for the second line.
#26638 by dchoe
Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:58 am
The only problem is that one handset is not enough and not economical to replace all 5 of my current handsets with a telo handset. Is there any future plan to have a scout like device? Or even a base unit that has both lines (ie Linksys PAP2T)
#26642 by Groundhound
Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:27 am
dchoe wrote:The only problem is that one handset is not enough and not economical to replace all 5 of my current handsets with a telo handset. Is there any future plan to have a scout like device? Or even a base unit that has both lines (ie Linksys PAP2T)

No such plans have been announced, but it would be something many would like to see.
#26645 by hpepper
Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:36 am
This might not work for you but it is an option for some. I have a fax machine plugged into my hub and then my fax machine provides a line out which I can feed to the reat of the house wiring. This way, I don't have to have a dedicated line for the fax. The fax will take over the line when faxing out and disconnect the rest of the house during the fax. For incoming, the fax will sense if it is a fax call and take over the call if it is a fax. If it is a regular call, the call goes though and rings the phones.

But this arrangement requires a fax machine (or fax device) that can do this AND you need the house wiring to be available to where the fax machine is located.
#26710 by dchoe
Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:30 pm
Unfortunately not, the purpose of having a dedicated fax line is that it would have it's own number.
#26714 by Groundhound
Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:36 pm
dchoe wrote:Unfortunately not, the purpose of having a dedicated fax line is that it would have it's own number.

hpepper's solution will work if you add a an additional number (included with Premier, $4.99/month otherwise) and create a distinctive ring for it so the fax machine will pick it up.
#26748 by niknak
Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:50 pm
dchoe wrote:Unfortunately not, the purpose of having a dedicated fax line is that it would have it's own number.

it has been mentioned on the forums that faxes go through using ooma if they are 4-5 pages or less. if you have a dedicated line because of consistently faxing more than 5 pages you may find ooma fax does not always work well
#26757 by dchoe
Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:20 pm
I guess I should've been more precise and said dedicated office line. I agree hpepper's method would work, but the main issue for me is that I don't want any other phones to ring on the 2nd phone number (and not 100% of the calls are faxes).

niknak wrote:it has been mentioned on the forums that faxes go through using ooma if they are 4-5 pages or less.

While I'm still a new ooma user, I've used ViaTalk and Packet8 and really haven't had issues with incoming faxes and for outgoing, when using 'Scan then Fax', I've had about 90% success on first try. Normal outgoing fax where it dials out then scans pages after connection, I have like 20% success rate.
#26762 by Groundhound
Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:30 pm
dchoe wrote:I guess I should've been more precise and said dedicated office line. I agree hpepper's method would work, but the main issue for me is that I don't want any other phones to ring on the 2nd phone number (and not 100% of the calls are faxes).

OK, so leave the fax number on the hub and assign the other number for voice to a scout. That way voice calls will ring only on the scout, while fax calls (or voice calls to that number) will ring only on the hub.