Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#26859 by bluesgene
Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:43 pm
[quote="allo]
It is tempting if the Premier Service is for the life of the account and not the Hardware... but shelling out that much assumes that to at least recoup the full amount one needs the following conditions:
1- one lives more than 3 - 1/2 years after purchasing Premier.
2- Ooma stays in business that long. (Sunrocket)
3. the service stays as good as it is today : (look at Vonage...)
4. Some newer and better technology doesn't come along.
.[/quote]

Condition #1 isn't actually true, as it only takes into account the Ooma expense (annual vs. lifetime). But you also have the savings from what you do with your landline. In my case, because I save 30.00 a month by downgrading my landline service to basic, I recouped the initial expense in 1 year. Of course if you drop the landline all together the turn around would be just a matter of months. If you're satisfied with Ooma, it's definately the way to go!
#26867 by allo
Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:19 pm
I was thinking of the annual premiums ($99) for Premier when bought each year in relation to one lump sum payment of $350. I wasn't talking about recouping the total amount of $350 compared to telcos charges. It is a winner regardless when compared to the ripoffs of the "telcos".
But not taking the telcos into consideration at all, and from an OOma perspective it is perplexing now after the Postings by the Moderators on the previous page : Lifetime Premier is for the life of the Hardware not the Account!
If my memory serves me right, originally OOMA HUB-Scout was priced $399 bundled with Lifetime Premier... Prices were reduced because there weren't too many takers and the Bundle dropped.
Now they are pricing that same thing: Hub/Telo-Premier (for life of Unit) at $600 (250+350)... Go figure!
To me it doesn't follow any logic...
Last edited by allo on Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#26871 by Groundhound
Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:30 pm
Having "lifetime" defined as that of the equipment is consistent with Ooma's definition of lifetime free calling on Ooma Core. What is inconsistent, and what makes me wince as someone who wants Ooma to succeed, is that recent lifetime subscribers have apparently been told by Ooma CS that "lifetime" meant account rather than equipment when it comes to lifetime Premier - another bullet hole in Ooma's foot.
#26888 by southsound
Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:50 pm
Bobby B wrote:Just to add and clarify a few points -- as Norm mentions, the Premier Lifetime option is for the Life of the Device, not the Ooma Account (similar to Tivo and ReplayTV lifetime service plans). However, at least until the end of the year, we're allowing users (including Premier lifetime users) to transfer their existing Hub account to their Ooma Telo, given their Hub is still active.

ntoy wrote:If you decide to purchase the Premiere Buy-Out option by calling Ooma support, this will provide Lifetime Premiere
on the life of the original Ooma Hub/Telo and NOT on the Ooma Account.

Bobby, I'm not sure about Tivo because I've never had it. But I can verify that ReplayTV lifetime plans were (and maybe still are) transferable to other equipment in case of upgrade or failure. I currently own 4 Replays. 1 3020 and three 5504's. The 3020 came with lifetime as did one of my 5504's. When the 3020 started to flake out I transfered its lifetime to one of the 5504's that had only monthly. I haven't used them in a while as I have a Dish 722 with multiple drives and 2tuner HD - but last evening I fired up the (previously monthly then transfered to lifetime as a replacement for the 3020) Replay to watch "Autumn in New England". It had been months since I had even plugged it in. It dialed up the mothership and was authorized immediately.

It is unreasonable to offer a lifetime pricing that takes 3.5 years to justify with equipment that you hope people will upgrade in just two - and may only have a life of the same. There was even talk about ooma offering a Premier/Warranty bundle at one time. It is sad that at a time when ooma is trying to attract new customers that they have been making so many decisions that hurt their loyal base and confuse the new user. I think it is time for ooma to decide if they really want to be a successful company that thrives because of wonderful customer service and clear communication as well as a great product or if they are happy to be a company that flashed and burned because they were more interested in an immediate payback to their venture capitalists than doing the right thing. I've been out of the marketing business for some time (I was a marketing manager for the flagship PBX at Pacific Telesis just after divestiture and also worked with Apple, NeXT and Microsoft) but I don't think things have changed that much. Treat the customer with respect, honesty and give them a good value and they will beat a path to your door.
#26896 by Dennis P
Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:05 pm
Let me clarify (hopefully) a few things regarding the Lifetime plan:

* It extends your warranty to three years. This way you get at least 3 years of service on your investment (if you bought the plan at the same time as the hardware). The warranty only covers the original hardware that the plan was bought under.

* It is tied to the hardware. If your hardware fails after 3 years, we'll be happy to transfer it to another device of the same model. You cannot, however, transfer the plan to a different model of hardware UNLESS explicitly allowed by an upgrade plan (like what we did for Hub owners when we introduced Telo).

* It will be available for purchase at least through the end of the year. We don't plan to keep it around indefinitely.

* Users who are currently in a Premier subscription cannot purchase additional years or upgrade to Lifetime today, but will be able to do so in the near future. We will post in the forums when this function is available.

If anyone has bought the lifetime plan in the past few days based on any mis-information here or from our customer service agents, we'll gladly refund your money. Just PM me and I'll take care of you.
#26951 by southsound
Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:16 am
Thank you, Dennis! This is the ooma I've come to love and respect. I appreciate your clarifications and will be getting Lifetime on at least one of my systems. Not sure if it will be the Telo or the hub/scout - I'm waiting to see how GVE is implemented and if I can still get all the features and integration I like with the hub. Again, I appreciate you clearing it up for us! :D
#26990 by MikeekiM
Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:16 am
Agreed...this is great clarification! Thanks...

I am assuming that if Ooma decides to obsolete the hub, that if my hub fails after the warranty period, that I could replace it with whatever the current hardware is at the time and get lifetime transferred, correct?

Of course, based on your description, if the hub is still in your current product line, it sounds like the transfer would be limited to the hub unless you change that policy somewhere down the line (or it is part of an upgrade offer as you state above)...
#26991 by allo
Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:22 am
I had precisely that same question in mind... and therefore I would wait to see the answer before taking any action!

#26998 by MikeekiM
Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:38 am
Aveamantium wrote:
Groundhound wrote:I know that there are a few here that signed up thinking it was the "life of the account" :?

I know I did... I cleared this over the phone multiple times with the CSR on the line...and each time, they went to their manager/supervisor and swore up and down that it was tied to the account, and that if it broke, that they would transfer it to another unit if I had a hardware failure outside of warranty...

However, I am optimistic... it actually sounds like it is sort of tied to the account (but only if you transfer it to the same model if your current model breaks). If we can get confirmation that they will "take care of us" if the model you have is no longer in production, it is almost as good (but not quite as good) as being tied to the account...