Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#25913 by wenmang
Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:06 am
Hi, all,
I plan to purchase ooma system, but before I do that, I have a few questions and hope that you guys may know the answers.
1. Could I delay number porting process and get a new number first before I become comfortable with ooma? Since I never use VOIP service before, call quality and other things are unknown to me
2. caller id and caller name display
Somebody mentioned that ooma will not deliver caller name if you are not in their premier service. Is this an issuse or not since I thought that caller name is cached at handset memory not from network, am I missing something here? If I program my handset to store caller name which links to caller id, will my handset display "names" when a call comes in?

thx.
#25915 by Aveamantium
Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:10 am
wenmang wrote:Hi, all,
I plan to purchase ooma system, but before I do that, I have a few questions and hope that you guys may know the answers.
1. Could I delay number porting process and get a new number first before I become comfortable with ooma? Since I never use VOIP service before, call quality and other things are unknown to me
2. caller id and caller name display
Somebody mentioned that ooma will not deliver caller name if you are not in their premier service. Is this an issuse or not since I thought that caller name is cached at handset memory not from network, am I missing something here? If I program my handset to store caller name which links to caller id, will my handset display "names" when a call comes in?

thx.

1) yes, just sign up with an Ooma number and port when/if you're comfortable.
2) If your handset has an address book then for most phones all you need is the Caller ID Number, and the phone will display the name associated with this number. If your phone doesn't do this then you'd need to get the Core (Hub + Scout) system if you wanted both Caller ID and Name without Premier.
#25917 by hpepper
Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:24 am
wenmang wrote:I thought that caller name is cached at handset memory not from network, am I missing something here?

I just wanted to add that normally, Caller Name is supplied by the carrier database, not the handset... although he is correct that it CAN come from the handset if it is capable.
#25918 by doug
Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:30 am
wenmang wrote:I thought that caller name is cached at handset memory not from network, am I missing something here? If I program my handset to store caller name which links to caller id, will my handset display "names" when a call comes in?

AFAIK, a cell phone never shows a caller-ID name and only has the number sent to the phone, but most if not all cell phones then look in their address book and if found will display the name you entered for that number.

In my experience, that is rarely true of other phones though I am sure there are exceptions. Even when that is the case, it won't help for calls not in your contact list. What model phone do you use that lets you manually add names to an address book or speed dial instead of storing a name from an incoming caller ID?
#25921 by wenmang
Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:38 am
I plan to buy a new DECT6.0 phone from Panasonic but I do know that most today's phone system does have phone book which can store names of callers. I am not concerned about "unknown" caller if the name is not in my phone book, but I do care about that the linkage between caller id and caller name regardless where they are stored. It is pointless if you can only see caller id w/o names and have to guess who is calling from caller id. I am interested in ooma telo but I will not buy it if I can only see caller id not names and I have no plan to purchase premier service.
Last edited by wenmang on Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
#25922 by Aveamantium
Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:41 am
doug wrote:What model phone do you use that lets you manually add names to an address book or speed dial instead of storing a name from an incoming caller ID?

Both my "cheap" DECT 6 Uniden and Vtech phones allow you to program both a name and number. When someone calls one of these phones the name I have associated with the number in the handset's address book overrides what is sent by the carrier.