I sent Ooma support some questions, but I haven't gotten a response, so I thought I'd poll you guys for some confirmation that my plan is workable.
I'm currently using Vonage with a plan that renews yearly (works out to about $20 per month). Between the regulatory fees, and their boxes breaking about every 2-3 years, I'm thinking about a change. My current coverage continues until February 11th. I also have a Google Voice account that I'm slowly trying to shift everything to. Here's the plan (I'm numbering them so tell me if any are incorrect or need clarification).
1. Buy a Core system now from Amazon. I should at the very least have guaranteed phone service, voicemail, caller ID for free as long as OOma is still in business. Try it out and see how reliable it is.
2. If I'm still liking the service in December, buy the Premier package for $99 before the rate goes up.
3. Port my Vonage number for free using the Premier subscription in late January/early February.
4. Use Google Voice Extensions with the Premier service whenever it debuts.
It all seems viable. The only hesitation I have is whether I can do #3. Is the free number port possible at any time or does it need to be done at the beginning? Thanks for the feedback in advance.
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx
3. yes, as long as you have premier, the port will be free. However Murphy is right on this.
4. I'm not sure when it will arrive.
At least it's something to make note of. It's better to select port and premier at the same time so you don't have to worry about getting your $39.99 refunded.Dennis P wrote:The cost of a port ($39.99) is only refundable if you decide to upgrade to an annual subscription of ooma Premier prior to the expiration of the free trial.
Unfortunately, if you decide to upgrade a year after your free trial has expired, the porting costs will not be refundable.