Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#25713 by tommies
Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:12 pm
Three weeks is an ample time. I'd suggest you to try email support (support@ooma.com) or send a private message/email to either Dennis P. or Bobby B.--the two ooma moderator on this forum.

I tried email support before(about 6 months ago), and it took around a week to get the answers.
#27789 by macadood
Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:48 am
I too am having this same problem. I spent about 30 mins on and off hold with their CS in the Philippines. The rep and I had a difficult time understanding each other and he kept telling me that they "can't" give me a local number. Ooma is useless to me if everyone has to pay long distance to call me. I know I live in NE but there's over a million people in the metro area. The only numbers available that were in small towns about and hour away. Those are local toll calls.

Finally, he said he'd file a trouble ticket and maybe engineering could find me a local number, but I have to wait 72 hours to find out. This is really frustrating. Potential customers should be able to check on their website, before we go through the trouble of buying the hardware, whether or not there are local numbers available to us. All the major internet providers, cable companies, and telcos tell you if they can provide service for you before you invest in the hardware. As it is, I have ordered the hardware from Amazon and it is useless to me unless the engineering dept comes through. If not, I have to return the Hub at my cost to Amazon.

I'm sorely disappointed in Ooma, their lack of information and poor outsourced customer service. I would appreciate it if the Ooma guys could prove me wrong and open up some local numbers for Omaha, NE. I mean, they sell the hardware in the electronics stores here, for crying out loud.
#27851 by Spunk
Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:30 pm
I did hear back from email but they gave me nothing other then to call customer service. Also it is impossible on the number search page to find anything local still. It would be easier if we could just put in area code and it would bring up all numbers or locations for the area code. I am also close to a large town and there are TONS of extensions to type in. Still nothing local for me and has been almost 3 weeks. Still frustrated.
#27858 by Davesworld
Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:40 pm
Local number availability changes by the hour. One day you may have none available and the next day have 30 available. Ooma doesn't have complete control over number availability as they do not own the numbers.
#27968 by macadood
Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:21 pm
Davesworld wrote:Local number availability changes by the hour. One day you may have none available and the next day have 30 available. Ooma doesn't have complete control over number availability as they do not own the numbers.

I get that and I understand that, but Ooma really needs to be clear about the circumstances surrounding number availability. When I spoke to customer service they made it sound like it was impossible to get a number in my area.

If only Ooma would spend as much time, $$, and energy on their Customer Service as they do on their schmancy website, they might be able to retain more customers.
#27985 by jazzyone
Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:42 pm
If you really want a local number you can sign up with Qwest, get the cheapest line, and then port that number. This process won't be overnight but at least you may be able to get a local number this way. Make sure to double check that the Qwest number is portable prior to getting Qwest service.

I'm guessing it's a business decision not to have local presence where you live for both Ooma and Google at this time. Alternatvely they may have ran out of local numbers. If numbers from Qwest are portable, then this may prove to be much faster.
Last edited by jazzyone on Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
#27987 by bw1
Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:49 pm
macadood wrote:Potential customers should be able to check on their website, before we go through the trouble of buying the hardware, whether or not there are local numbers available to us. All the major internet providers, cable companies, and telcos tell you if they can provide service for you before you invest in the hardware.

They do, it's right here: http://www3.ooma.com/phone_numbers.php on their schmancy website.
#28007 by Groundhound
Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:06 am
macadood wrote:
bw1 wrote:They do, it's right here: http://www3.ooma.com/phone_numbers.php on their schmancy website.

Wow, thanks for the link! Can you tell me where that link can be found on Ooma's site? I search all over, I thought, and couldn't find anything like this.

Under the FAQ entry on "Can I keep my current phone number?"
#28027 by macadood
Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:40 am
Groundhound wrote:
macadood wrote:
bw1 wrote:They do, it's right here: http://www3.ooma.com/phone_numbers.php on their schmancy website.

Wow, thanks for the link! Can you tell me where that link can be found on Ooma's site? I search all over, I thought, and couldn't find anything like this.

Under the FAQ entry on "Can I keep my current phone number?"

Thanks for that. It'll be helpful when I start looking for a 2nd number. But I think I would have found it if it were under the question: "Are there any numbers available in my local calling area?" Since I wasn't looking to port my number, I never looked at the answer to that question. Just a minor suggestion for the schmancy website ;)