Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#25574 by Spunk
Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:20 pm
I purchased the Ooma Hub locally and get home to find out there are no local numbers avail to me. I called customer service and they were not very polite and just said to pick something and I can always change it later when they add new numbers. When I asked how often this occurs she just said I could check daily or every Monday. Mean while the Hub sits in a box and I may just bring it back. We do not have a home phone to import and wanted it mostly for people to be able to call us instead of calling our cell phones. Would be nice to know how often they add new numbers. After reading around here there is a cost to picking a number then changing it later. Customer service was definatly not helpful and lacking in answers. Any help here would be greatly appreciated. Looking for area code 320- and prefix that would be local to 356,253 and 845 areas.
#25578 by niknak
Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:45 pm
CS is right...DID numbers are bought and sold all the time. you should make a formal request to ooma that they obtain a DID for you in area code 320 (LATA=St. Cloud, Mn) and the exchange you want (Albany, St. Cloud, or Avon)

It looks like only a number in exchange 845 is local to both 356 and 253
#25579 by WayneDsr
Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:59 pm
As a work-around you could get a number as close as possible to you and then request a Google Voice number (free). If Google has a number in your area you could give out that number and forward it to your ooma number, and/or even to your cell phone. Google voice has tons of options and in the future Ooma will incorporate Google voice extensions.

Just a thought...

Wayne
#25583 by doug
Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:04 pm
niknak wrote:CS is right...DID numbers are bought and sold all the time. you should make a formal request to ooma that they obtain a DID for you in area code 320 (LATA=St. Cloud, Mn) and the exchange you want (Albany, St. Cloud, or Avon)

Just to add to that, it has been reported in the forums that it typically only takes them 2-3 days to obtain a number where you want it. So call them and make the request instead of activating in an exchange you do not want.
#25587 by Spunk
Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:26 pm
Will look into google voice but as for requesting one when I called customer service they basically told me there was nothing that could be done and all I could do is sign up for a number elsewhere and change it later. The lady I spoke to was not helpful and kind of rude actually. I was very disappointed with my first contact with them.
#25609 by Spunk
Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:28 pm
Says google voice not available but signed up for the alert. Will check local numbers one more time tomorrow and call customer service one more time as well. Perhaps I just got an associate that wasn't sure what could or couldn't be done?? Thanks!
#25687 by Spunk
Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:18 am
Just spent 45 minutes on the phone with customer service. He was not the easiest to talk to and had a hard time understanding what I was asking for. He first told me that I could choose any number and people could call me free even if the number was long distance to them. I asked him to verify the info. 10 minutes later he comes back and apologizes saying he was wrong and then proceeds to read off the numbers available which I have told him I could see on the web. Asked him if he can check by state and town. He was so confused he put me on hold again for about 10 minutes only to come back and again repeat the numbers I had already told him I could see on the website. Trying to get a straight answer was like pulling teeth! All I wanted to know was are they adding anything local to my area and if so can they give me an estimated time frame. He said they are not. They do not take requests but that they would be happy to call me if they ever added anything in my area. He kept telling me to port my number even after telling him several times I have NO local phone line only a cell phone. As much as I was looking forward to using the service the customer service has left me upset and frustrated. A company is only as good as the service they provide. I work in customer service over the phone so know this as fact. I really dont know what to do. Perhaps just return it and stay with cell phones only. Hate that idea but might be the only thing left for me.

Frustrated!
Michelle
#25704 by tommies
Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:53 am
What is your time window for return? I'd like to pm Dennis or Bobby (the two ooma mod on this forum) to see what can be done.

Bottom line, a safe bet for you is to return it in time and come back(ie buy another set) when the local number becomes available.
#25707 by Spunk
Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:06 am
I have almost 3 weeks left for returns. Am needing a home phone for incoming calls and do not want to go back to Qwest. Would love any help or input as customer service has no idea whats going on.