Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#25632 by murphy
Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:41 am
Not true. You have a right to use it as long as the owner agrees. If you read the fine print provided by any original phone company (Verizon etc) you will find that they can issue you a new phone number any time they want to. It doesn't happen very often but they retain the right to do it.
#25725 by niknak
Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:15 pm
Leeway wrote:niknak (btw, I like that handle)

I need further understanding on a ported number. I was under the impression when you port a number "YOU" own it.

Not true???

thx about the handle - it's just a variation on my middle name!

as Murphy explained above you never "own your number" you do have the right to assign a number assigned to you to any telephone company or service provider with a "presence" in your area
The numbers themselves remain under control by the RBOC or ILEC in the area
They in effect release the numbers to CLECs under rules created by the FCC to provide fair competition among phone companies

It is for this reason that you will find folks here having trouble obtaining a local phone number - there are only a finite amount available (XXX-YYY-0000 to XXX-YYY-9999) and unless the ILEC has more to release, companies like ooma, vonage, packet8 have to wait until one is available