Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#24785 by hisnibs
Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:06 pm
I am hoping someone here can help me with learning what to tell or ask Verizon to reduce my current phone to basic services.
I have original ooma hub and verizon phone that includes all of the features, dsl and direct tv. I want to change only the phoe service to basic service? I want to maintain 911 and when there are internet outages. Hopefully to save money. Is there a way to ask verizon for this without encouraging fees and other wrath of god experiences? I am afraid of the unknowns after doing this as well.

Thanks
#24796 by niknak
Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:24 pm
it sounds like you have a "package" with verizon? (local/long distance, dsl, direct tv for one price)
if so you may have a contract and would have to pay an early cancellation fee to modify?

if not then you would need a basic local calling plan like flat rate service or message rate service
you would also need to keep dsl active if it is the ISP you will use with ooma
#24817 by Lola
Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:19 pm
hisnibs wrote:I am hoping someone here can help me with learning what to tell or ask Verizon to reduce my current phone to basic services.
I have original ooma hub and verizon phone that includes all of the features, dsl and direct tv. I want to change only the phoe service to basic service? I want to maintain 911 and when there are internet outages. Hopefully to save money. Is there a way to ask verizon for this without encouraging fees and other wrath of god experiences? I am afraid of the unknowns after doing this as well.

Thanks

When I called Verizon to cancel they kept asking if it was for money and telling me how they would put me into some better program if thats what it took. So you may just want to call them and select cancellation. I also had dsl with them and they offered me $25 when the previous operators I had talked to said they couldnt discount the dsl if it was naked (I was asking cause I was going to go with ooma, but wanted to keep the dsl) that their naked dsl was like $40 with contract.

BTW, when my line was cancelled (ported to ooma) Verizon kept a dial tone in the house, apparently any number I call rings to Verizon so I can quickly establish service again. I was surprised they did that. They also tell me the only number I can call is 911. You might want to ask them if they also do that in your area.
#24820 by niknak
Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:36 pm
...Verizon kept a dial tone in the house, ... they also tell me the only number I can call is 911...

if that is the case and you have no contracts, dry loop DSL is all you would need, you'd still have access to landline 911
#24841 by hisnibs
Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:16 pm
Thanks to all replies. Yes it is the phone dsl and dtv bundle. But the 2 year contract period has ended. I am not yet sure about porting my phone number. It is the last connection my 86 year mom has to the outside world and I dont want to risk losing contacts from her friends.

Mainly I have duplicate services now and Voice mail is collecting on both services, for instance.

So I want to keep a landline service where the option to call out exists, keep traditional 911, back-up for Inet outages and contribute to the ooma grid. Hopefully save some money. So I am not interested in porting my number to avoid losing it for anyperiod of time at this time for my mom.

I signed up for premiere today and want to support Ooma as well.

Thanks again.
#24843 by niknak
Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:25 pm
so in your case you'd keep your verizon landline with your special number and DSL account . this way all of mom's friends can still call and reach you. you can have a bare minimum local calling plan + DSL plan

use the ooma hub / number for all you outbound calling which is all free