Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#24993 by bw1
Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:17 pm
For the Telo:

Ooma Basic service:
Free US calling
Caller ID number
Call Waiting
911 service*
Optional Landline backup
Online call logs
Free in-network calling (Ooma to Ooma)
Change or disable Ooma Connection tone
10-digit dialing

* Only if your internet service and power is available along with Ooma servers.

Ooma Premier service:
All of the features of Ooma Basic service plus
Caller ID name
Caller ID for Call Waiting
Instant Second Line**
Three-way Conferencing
Multi-Ring, Call Forwarding and Forward on Internet Outage
Voicemail including call/message screening
Voicemail forwarding to email (including mp3 attachment)
Voicemail notification to email or text message
Do Not Disturb
Send to Voicemail
Blacklists (Personal and Community)
Block display of caller id for outgoing calls
Anonymous Call Block
2nd Phone Number (plus optional additional numbers - up to 9)
Private Devices with Private Voicemail**
Custom Ring Patterns
Phone Support

** Requires optional Telo HD Handset(s)
#24999 by Zindar
Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:42 pm
I have the Ooma hub and scout (not telo), so isn't it true I get caller ID number and name, both free (not part of premier)?
#25001 by bw1
Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:45 pm
Zindar wrote:I have the Ooma hub and scout (not telo), so isn't it true I get caller ID number and name, both free (not part of premier)?

Yes, you should have Ooma Core service after your Premier trial ends and that includes caller id name and number along with Voicemail. You won't get Voicemail call/message screening however.
#25016 by Leeway
Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:51 pm
bw1, I get voice mail screening by having my cordless phone pick up messages before the ooma hub does. My cordless phones let me listen or pick up. I don't think that will stop ???
#25018 by Zindar
Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:01 pm
Leeway wrote:bw1, I get voice mail screening by having my cordless phone pick up messages before the ooma hub does. My cordless phones let me listen or pick up. I don't think that will stop ???

Is your cordless phone recording the message, or does is just broadcast their voice live into your room, so you can hear what they're saying? Does the ooma hub still pick up, so they can leave voicemail? (in other words, while they're leaving voicemail on Ooma, your cordless phone is broadcasting their voice, live, into your room?)
#25094 by Leeway
Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:27 pm
bw1, my phone is talking to me. That is whatever the caller is saying I can hear loud and clear. If I pick it up then we are 'live'. If I don't pick it up then it is in my recorded messages.

All of that is on my Panasonic cordless phones. I am not letting the call go to ooma at that point.

I have my cordless phone answer machine set up for 4 rings and the ooma is behind that by 6 rings or whatever seconds they call it.
#25211 by Zindar
Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:02 pm
Leeway wrote:bw1, my phone is talking to me. That is whatever the caller is saying I can hear loud and clear. If I pick it up then we are 'live'. If I don't pick it up then it is in my recorded messages.

All of that is on my Panasonic cordless phones. I am not letting the call go to ooma at that point.

I have my cordless phone answer machine set up for 4 rings and the ooma is behind that by 6 rings or whatever seconds they call it.

But wouldn't that mean that once the cordless answering machine answers it, the call is gone as far as Ooma knows? So your ooma will never record the messages? (Instead your cordless answering does the recording.) Also, that would imply your cordless answering machine is directly connected to your internet line, and I thought standalone answering machines needed regular phone lines. So I'm certainly confused about this setup.
#25223 by Big Boy Laroux
Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:44 pm
Sounds to me like he just has a normal expandable system with built-in answering machine. He has that answering the calls instead of ooma voicemail.
#25479 by bw1
Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:49 pm
You can always use an answering machine built into a cordless phone base by setting the number of rings on Ooma to be higher than the number of rings that the answering machine answers the call. But if you have voicemail and another call comes in while you're on the phone or a message is being left on the machine then that other call will go to voicemail. Also, if your Ooma is offline (internet or power outage), then all calls will go to voicemail.

With Ooma Premier service, you get voicemail with call screening. You can also forward voicemails with mp3 attachments to email and send notifications of new voicemail to email/text.

With Ooma Core service, you get voicemail but no call screening. You can also send notifications of new voicemail to email/text.

With Ooma Basic service, you don't get any voicemail.

If you have Ooma voicemail, it cannot be turned off at this time.

You can add Ooma voicemail without getting the full Premier service for $4.99 per month or $49.99 per year.

Here's info on how much storage you get with Ooma voicemail:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1090&p=5483&hilit=+voicemail#p5483
The maximum length of a voicemail is 5 minutes. We allocate 1GB of voicemail storage per user, which translates to about 33 hours of voicemail.