Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#37609 by bw1
Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:32 am
scottlindner wrote:
EchoTony wrote:My premier subscription expires on November 10, 2010.... Do I need to buy my next year at $99 now, 10.5 months early to get the $99/year deal?

I was unable to contact customer support about this through their email form -- I got a delivery failure notice email. :(
That's pretty lame. And they want me to plunk down $350 for a lifetime of lame service? hummm.

I came here wondering the same thing. I though Ooma Premier subscribers were permanently locked in at the $99/yr rate, but the email I just received makes it sound like I can jump now and get the $99/yr rate for the next three years only.

I don't care either way, the extra $20/yr is nothing compared to how much QWest was raping me for a landline with no extra features, but I want to understand it so that I can make the best decision.

Cheers,
Scott

The way I understand it, you were only locked in until the end of this year, so you can still buy 1 to 3 years at $99.99 per year. Or you can get the lifetime premier for $350. And you would have to purchase before 12/31/2009 even though you may still be in a current year of premier.
#37616 by EchoTony
Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:09 am
murphy wrote:Do the math. I used to pay Vonage $47 per month for two lines.
I paid $249.99 for the hub/scout plus $99.99 for a year of Premier plus $349.99 for lifetime Premier.
That's $699.97 total.
$699.97 divided by $47 is 14.9 months. I purchased the hub at the end of January 2009. At the beginning of May in 2010 I break even over what I would have paid to Vonage. It's a free ride from that point on.

No doubt the service saves us money over the long haul. However, I think it would be a good idea to have clear information to make an informed decision.
Additionally, as my Premier is only one month old, I would say it's sorta lame if I need to purchase another year of premier now, when I've basically just paid for premier.

As far as when the break even point is reached, I was on a fairly basic POTS line with AT&T that was costing about $28/mo... so I've got to factor that ... $170/hub&scout plus $99.99 for premier plus 349.99 = 619/28 = 22.15 months for me to recoup my investment...
#37621 by mpurvis
Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:35 am
Here are three scenarios:

1. A customer signs up for the three month trial on August 15 and decides to purchase an annual premier subscription for $99. Trial period ends on November 14. Customer is unaware of lifetime premier option (was it even available then?). To go to lifetime premier, customer must pay an additional $350, totaling $449 for the lifetime premier. (This is me.)

2. A customer signs for a trial period which begins September 30. Their trial period ends December 29 and they can pay $350 now for lifetime premier.

3. A customer, like me, signs up for annual premier service during the trial period beginning September 30. Their $99 can be credited against the $350 resulting in a payment of $251 to upgrade to lifetime premier.

To me, this appears to be penalizing the loyal older customers in favor of the new sign-ups. I think the fair way to do this is to allow any paid annual premier customer to upgrade to lifetime status like customer 3 above. Historically, Ooma has really tried to be fair to the older premier members, but this time, the new customers have gotten the savings at the expense of older customers.

Any thoughts?
Last edited by mpurvis on Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
#37622 by bw1
Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:36 am
You don't have to. You can continue on your current year of premier and it will renew at $119.99 next year. Or you can purchase an additional year now for $99.99 and save $20.

Since you just purchased a one year annual subscription to premier you could call the customer service number and select sales and see if they can upgrade you to a lifetime subscription for the $250.01 difference, if that's what you're considering.
#37623 by tjnamtiw
Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:38 am
I am trying to buy my Premier Service for one year but I am getting sent to an error message page over and over that tells me to report the problem here. Anyone else having this problem?

Also I am highly ticked that we initial users were PROMISED that we would be grandfathered in at the $99 yearly rate for our life and now I'm reading that's not true..... WTF!!!!!!
#37626 by mpurvis
Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:43 am
bw1 wrote:You don't have to. You can continue on your current year of premier and it will renew at $119.99 next year. Or you can purchase an additional year now for $99.99 and save $20.

Since you just purchased a one year annual subscription to premier you could call the customer service number and select sales and see if they can upgrade you to a lifetime subscription for the $250.01 difference, if that's what you're considering.

From earlier posts in the forum, it seems that only people still in the trial period have this option. Has anyone been able to get the premier lifetime for the $250.01 difference after the trial period has expired?
#37627 by tjnamtiw
Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:45 am
OK, on the third try, it went through for the extended Premier so that is OK, but not being grandfathered for the rest of our life is NOT what we were promised. Sure I could get the $350 lifetime but the 'fine print' says for the life of the device. With my luck, the darn thing would crap out next week and I would be out $350.
The promise of lifetime grandfathering sounds now like one of Obama's promises.. :shock:
#37702 by chuckl
Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:10 pm
Sign me up as another person trying to extend my Premiere subscription, only to be kicked out of the shopping cart with an error message (also the promotional email that I got sent me to the page for a NEW OOMA premiere subscription, not for the extension). Does OOMA not want my $$$$?