Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#23467 by bmiller
Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:29 pm
I just started looking at ooma this week and just when I decided to buy the darn thing they change the rules. Here are the things that I'm confused :? about.

1) Voice Mail -
I guess you only get this with the premeir service even though the web site says Hub has free voice mail.
My question is: Will my current answering machine phone work if I connect it to the Telo or the Hub?

2) International & 411 call -
Is it possible to completely disable this so there is no way to get charged for these calls?
What happens if there is no money in the prepaid account?
(Would it just hit my credit card for more money?)

3) If I buy a Hub right now, would I still get the old deal since on the box it clearly states the I get free voice mail and there are no additional charges?

Thanks for taking the time to read this.
#23473 by southsound
Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:49 pm
bmiller wrote:I just started looking at ooma this week and just when I decided to buy the darn thing they change the rules. Here are the things that I'm confused :? about.

1) Voice Mail -
I guess you only get this with the premeir service even though the web site says Hub has free voice mail.
My question is: Will my current answering machine phone work if I connect it to the Telo or the Hub?
The answer varies depending on your definition of "work." The hub does not pass inbound DTMF so it will not allow
use of the remote access to your messages. The Telo either does now or will pass those tones so it should work
with all features.

2) International & 411 call -
Is it possible to completely disable this so there is no way to get charged for these calls?
What happens if there is no money in the prepaid account?
(Would it just hit my credit card for more money?)
I have not given ooma my credit card information and do not use these features. I would assume that if your card was
on file, they might try to charge it. There seems to be no current way to block these features. It has been requested
in the past.

3) If I buy a Hub right now, would I still get the old deal since on the box it clearly states the I get free voice mail and there are no additional charges?
Yes. We have been told by ooma staff that the features on the box will continue to be available. In the future, I assume
ooma will change their packaging to reflect the new ToS. At that point, the features will drop to Basic for new purchasers.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

My pleasure. I've been an ooma user since February and based on my experience, you will love your new system!

To add some official assurance:
Dennis P wrote: ALL Ooma Core bundles will get voicemail in the base service. This is true whether you activated before OR after the announcement. As long as you buy a NEW Ooma Core bundle, we will deliver what is printed on the box. Watch out for re-sales on ebay or craigslist, you won't know the true origin of the device and what service tier they have.