Ooma Telo Fax Issues

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
weakticket

Re: Ooma Telo Fax Issues

Post by weakticket » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:19 pm

No i can't seem to find anything else, but it looks like most Netgear modem/routers have QoS built-in.

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:23 pm

weakticket wrote:No i can't seem to find anything else, but it looks like most Netgear modem/routers have QoS built-in.
I would think so, but you probably need to access the configuration for the QoS so it can give network traffic priority to the Telo.

weakticket

Post by weakticket » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:26 pm

That's the problem. There is no place to adjust this setting.

weakticket

Post by weakticket » Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:48 pm

Well it looks like the Ooma has to go back to the store and I have to keep my eFax. :cry:

ggilman

Post by ggilman » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:25 pm

weakticket wrote:That's the problem. There is no place to adjust this setting.
Why don't you just put the ooma in front of your router? Then it can control QoS.

daet

Post by daet » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:45 pm

ggilman wrote:
weakticket wrote:That's the problem. There is no place to adjust this setting.
Why don't you just put the ooma in front of your router? Then it can control QoS.
That can't be done. "weaticket" has an integrated cable modem / router. So unless she/he shells out for a new cable modem and router ......

DG
Ooma customer since April 2009
Ooma equipment: Hub ; Telo + 4 handsets
Ooma service: Annual Premier subscription

ggilman

Post by ggilman » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:50 pm

daet wrote:That can't be done. "weaticket" has an integrated cable modem / router. So unless she/he shells out for a new cable modem and router ......

DG
Yes, my mistake. I looked at the router posted earlier & it looked exactly like the one I used a while back, just a plain wireless router. Re-reading, it's not the same & does have the modem built in.

jimjr

Post by jimjr » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:28 am

Groundhound wrote:
weakticket wrote:No i can't seem to find anything else, but it looks like most Netgear modem/routers have QoS built-in.
I would think so, but you probably need to access the configuration for the QoS so it can give network traffic priority to the Telo.
Netgear's on-site manual for the CG814M, which I think is similar, does not have configurable QoS. So, you're out of luck on that front. The QoS that is there is non-configurable and affects only wireless clients. My Belkin N+ has the same limitation.

Have you tried putting the Telo's WAN IP address into the router's DMZ? That will at least get it out in front of the router's firewall. Also, consider defeating all of the Telo's QoS functions. Probably won't make a difference, since you probably do not have any wired clients behind the Telo, but it won't hurt to configure the Telo to make it think that it has unlimited bandwidth.

One final thought. Ditch the splitter and use the fax's internal splitter and see how that works. Run a phone cable directly from the Telo to the fax's line in. Then run another phone cable from the fax line out to the telephone handset.

I'm not sure how this all will work for the Telo, but it has worked well with my hub.