Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#22405 by drumooma
Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:15 pm
After reading multiple posts here and finally getting my configuration as I think it should be, Slingbox tests still fail and my Slingbox cannot be internet-enabled. I can get to the Slingbox from inside my home network, but not from outside. Pre-Ooma, I could get to my slingbox from any outside network, no problem.

DSL Speedstream modem --> Ooma Hub --> D-Link DI-524 wireless router --> multiple PC's and a Slingbox Classic. I don't want to move the Ooma hub behind the router since my router can't do packet prioritization/shaping, I'm relying on Ooma for that and I only have ~400 kbps upstream (ADSL).

I have the Ooma hub set to log into my DSL PPPoE account (I disabled the PPPoE on the router and had to switch the router WAN settings from PPPoE to Dynamic DHCP so it would obtain the proper WAN address from the Ooma hub. Otherwise, my router would grab an IP address in the 172.27.36.xx range). The Ooma hub is set to give out only one dynamic DHCP address (for the router, 172.27.35.50), and that IP is assigned to Ooma's DMZ (I've tried it with and without ooma's DMZ, neither works).

My router is still the primary DHCP server (I'd like to keep it that way) and gives out internal IP's to my network, including the Slingbox. I've hard-coded a LAN IP of 192.168.1.20 for the slingbox.

In summary:
Ooma has home port 172.27.35.1 255.255.255.0 mask
Ooma gives out one DHCP, 172.27.35.50. 172.27.35.50 is also in Ooma's DMZ
Ooma's ports 5001 and 5678 are forwarded to 172.27.35.50 (my DI-524 router)

DI-524 WAN properties:
DHCP Client Connected
IP Address 172.27.35.50
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway 172.27.35.1
DNS 172.27.35.1

DI-524 LAN properties:
IP Address 192.168.1.1
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
DHCP Server Enabled

DI-524's DHCP server is set to give out IP addresses 192.168.1.10 to 192.168.1.20. Slingbox is hardwired to always get 192.168.1.20. DI-524 port forwarding (TCP and UDP) is set up for ports 5001 and 5678 sent to IP 192.168.1.20.

Everything works fine except Slingbox streaming to external networks. All configurations look sound to me, only things I think might be at fault are (a) Ooma port forwarding just plain doesn't work, or (b) two DHCP servers might be causing a problem, even though one is WAN and one is LAN? I wish Ooma had an option to turn off its DHCP.

thanks...
#22415 by murphy
Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:42 am
Are you doing the outside test from the outside or are you trying to go to the outside address from inside your network? If the latter, it won't work because the ooma doesn't support loopback.

Are you using DynDNS or equivalent? If you are, you can't use the built-in DynDNS update in your router. You will have to run the client software that DynDNS provides.
#22419 by drumooma
Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:14 am
Thanks- tried both, I think. The Slingbox has an automated test from the inside that keeps failing when trying to enable internet viewing. I've also been trying to get to the slingbox using my cell phone's data plan, that's not working either. It used to work, pre-Ooma.

No DynDNS. The Slingbox has it's own method of identifying itself and the current IP address to the world, it's the "Finder ID".

murphy wrote:Are you doing the outside test from the outside or are you trying to go to the outside address from inside your network? If the latter, it won't work because the ooma doesn't support loopback.

Are you using DynDNS or equivalent? If you are, you can't use the built-in DynDNS update in your router. You will have to run the client software that DynDNS provides.
#22441 by drumooma
Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:12 am
So if I just accept the fact that Ooma port forwarding doesn't work, at least as far as my Slingbox is concerned, it seems like the best solution is to buy a new router that does packet shaping, and move the Ooma Hub behind it.

Can anyone recommend a good wireless-g router that does packet shaping? I'd prefer to stay away from Linksys, but they seem like they're the main player in the shaping world.
#22462 by daet
Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:45 am
drumooma wrote:So if I just accept the fact that Ooma port forwarding doesn't work, at least as far as my Slingbox is concerned, it seems like the best solution is to buy a new router that does packet shaping, and move the Ooma Hub behind it.

Can anyone recommend a good wireless-g router that does packet shaping? I'd prefer to stay away from Linksys, but they seem like they're the main player in the shaping world.

I have Netgear WNR834Bs that I purchased off eBay for about $30 apiece. They're single radio wireless N - and dd-wrt works really well as an alternative firmware on them.

Basically any router that runs dd-wrt or Tomato (or OpenWRT etc.) will provide you with very good QoS.

DG
#35902 by jcli
Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:11 pm
What should the slingbox settings be? The IP address should match what you set in your
router for port 5001 correct? What about the default gateway? Should that be set to your
ooma's IP, the IP given to your router by the ooma, or the standard 192.168.1.1?

Thanks