Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#22018 by JohnAx
Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:08 pm
Suppose I transfer my landline phone number from verzon to a voip provider, and the new provider one day goes out of business. From reading about people getting their numbers ported to ooma, it seems like the transfer process very much involves both carriers, and if one of them has disappeared so might my 'ownership' of my number. Or it might take so long to resolve the issue it might as well have disappeared completely.
#22022 by murphy
Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:24 pm
The original issuer of the phone number is the owner forever. The original issuer of my phone number was Verizon (Bell Telephone) about 40 years ago. 5 years ago I ported it to Vonage. When I decided to port it again to Ooma the port was not from Vonage to Ooma. Vonage reversed the port which moved it back to Verizon. Ooma then picked it up from Verizon.
#22044 by doug
Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:31 pm
murphy wrote:The original issuer of the phone number is the owner forever. ... When I decided to port it again to Ooma the port was not from Vonage to Ooma. Vonage reversed the port which moved it back to Verizon. Ooma then picked it up from Verizon.

But to play devil's advocate, this still begs the question of what happens when the current provider becomes unavailable for whatever reason, so can't reverse the port themselves. Can the original issuer / owner "repossess" the number from an unavailable provider? And if so, can it be done in a timely enough manner to be worth it?

This reminds me of the question, "What happens when you don't pay your exorcist?" Answer: You get repossessed !
#22048 by niknak
Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:51 pm
...what happens when the current provider becomes unavailable for whatever reason, so can't reverse the port themselves...

The way Murphy described it is the way it is..
You don't "own" your number, neither does any CLEC or VOIP Service Provider...all numbers are "owned" by the ILEC or RBOC for that ratecenter
The "losing company" does not initiate the port, the "receiving company" does, therefore they would just revert to the ILEC

If a CLEC were to go out of business, and no one else bought the rights to use them, the numbers would revert to the ILEC.

There woulod probably be a "grace period" where the numbers were held by the ILEC before being given out again.