Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#20174 by bluechalk
Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:43 am
I ported my Verizon landline phone to ooma last week and it went smoothly. There was no downtime for the ported number as far as I can tell. But, now I’ve noticed an annoying problem: my Caller ID displays can’t distinguish incoming Private calls (where the Caller ID is blocked) from Unavailable (where the Caller ID is not provided by the calling carrier) calls. Both types of calls are showing Unavailable, except that one of my phones (which used to show Private Number or Unknown Number depending on the call type) is showing all blanks as the phone number for both types of calls.

The call logs in the ooma Lounge show “Unavailable” for both types of calls.

Is this a local or a national problem? I’m in rate center WSCHSTZN07, Westchester County, New York.
#20328 by bluechalk
Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:53 am
I’d like to figure out whether this is a local problem before I bring it up with customer service. Is anybody willing to help me test it?

Make sure Enable Anonymous Call Block is not checked in the lounge (under Preferences/Privacy).

Call your ooma phone from another phone, blocking Caller ID. To block Caller ID, dial *67, then your phone number.

Let it ring twice. Let us know what your phone’s Caller ID shows for this call. It should say Private, Withheld, or something similar. Then look in the lounge Call Logs and let us know what it reported there for the calling number.