Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#20135 by mikeh33
Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:36 pm
I'm guessing that it wouldn't work because I've already given it a shot, but I was wondering if there was any way to get ooma to work at like a public library or some other form of public internet provider area, would there be anyway to make it work. I'm not really all that technically oriented, just thought I'd ask and give it a shot. I was wondering if I brought a router and plugged that into the library's line and then my ooma into that? Or should I just give up ;)
#20136 by WayneDsr
Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:16 pm
Since your library already has a router connected to the network port, all you need to do is bring in the ooma hub and plug it in. IF the library doesn't have ports or vpn blocked, and on dhcp, you should get a connection.

Wayne
#20147 by murphy
Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:49 am
I'm thinking the Librarian is not going to be too happy about someone talking on a phone in the library.

My library only offers wireless internet for laptops. You have to use the desktops they provide if you want a hard wired connection.
#20187 by mikeh33
Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:47 am
no, in my the library there is cable connection port and I can go to a isolated room to talk. What do i need to do to get it to work then? I plug it in and the 1 and 2 buttons just stay lit up. Why is that?
#20202 by murphy
Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:36 am
mikeh33 wrote:no, in my the library there is cable connection port and I can go to a isolated room to talk. What do i need to do to get it to work then? I plug it in and the 1 and 2 buttons just stay lit up. Why is that?

1 and 2 means it can't connect to the network. Ask the Library IT person if they are blocking the outbound ports that the unit uses.
#20206 by WayneDsr
Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:12 pm
My guess it's all blocked. I can't imagine a network connection wide open in an isolated room for just anyone to use. Then again......

Wayne