Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#20055 by thbjr
Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:01 pm
My DirecTV HD box is calling out at an alarming rate. (see attached) It has been calling out about 60 time a day since Sept 7th at 5:43 PM. It did the same thing for 3 days starting on Aug 7th @ 5:43PM. There is a service tech coming out tomorrow morning to check the box, but before he gets here, I thought I'd look for some advice from the forum. When I dial either of the toll free numbers, it sounds like a fax machine, which leads me to ask if it need the *99 dialing to exchange info?, or do I just have an HD reciever box that's gone whacko?
Tom
Attachments
Capture1.JPG
Capture1.JPG (127.76 KiB) Viewed 3877 times
#20057 by southsound
Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:07 pm
I use Dish Network, but I wonder if the HD DirecTV boxes have the option of calling the mother ship with an Internet connection? My Dish and ReplayTV boxes can do this and it is much faster than the dialup connection. Most likely, you can get additional features with the high speed connection as well. I can get Dish-on-Demand and other features when using broadband - things I cannot do with dialup.
#20058 by WayneDsr
Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:14 pm
The reason it's calling out a lot is because it never makes a complete connection, or never finishes the update. It calls out until the update is completed. I gave up on mine, disconnected Direct TV from the phone line and no one complains. If I buy a movie, I go online to do it.
Direct TV has never complained.

Wayne
#20059 by thbjr
Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:47 pm
WayneDsr wrote:The reason it's calling out a lot is because it never makes a complete connection, or never finishes the update. It calls out until the update is completed. I gave up on mine, disconnected Direct TV from the phone line and no one complains. If I buy a movie, I go online to do it.
Direct TV has never complained.

Wayne

That's what I was guessing, but I want the CID on my TV. Any known work around? *99?
Thanks.
#20066 by murphy
Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:54 am
You definitely need *99 pause in front of the phone number. If there is a choice, you should also set the DirecTV box to use 9600 baud.
#20081 by Groundhound
Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:04 am
thbjr wrote:That's what I was guessing, but I want the CID on my TV. Any known work around? *99?
Thanks.
I have my DirecTv DVR connected to my network, and it handles outbound communication over the Internet for PPV movies and on-demand (DirecTv on-demand shows are downloaded via Internet). I also have it connected to my phone line for CID. Since CID is on inbound calls, *99 is not applicable. Normally my DVR displays CID info for inbound calls just fine, but in the past (hasn't happened recently) I've had to do a red-button reset on my DVR to get CID to work. I have my Ooma Hub's phone port providing dial tone to my house wiring, and my DVR is connected to a house jack in a different room. So my DirecTv DVR makes no outbound calls and displays inbound CID just fine.
#20084 by WayneDsr
Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:32 am
I have the plain old Direct TV boxes and they only need the phone connection for on screen purchases. No way to change numbers or baud rate. Any other updates seem to come from above. I haven't had either of them connected to a phone in years. It wasn't until I got ooma did I try and it dialed out all night like thbjr's box.

I disconnected it and it's been happy ever since. I don't use on screen caller ID. Got tired of looking at that the first month I had it.

Wayne
#20098 by thbjr
Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:02 pm
Well, I have one of the older model HD boxes (H20?). The tech came by and after seeing the call log was sure it was looking for a software update. He tried a force update and said that was successful, gave me his number with instructions to call him after a few hours to see if that fixed it. An hour later the box was calling again, so he is supose to bring a new, differant model, box out to replace the old one. Not a single question about my phone service provider. I'll update again when I get the new box.