Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#19864 by murphy
Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:26 am
scottlindner wrote:What is the monthly cost for that basic line? I had a basic line with QWest and it cost me $42/mo. A second Hub will be much cheaper in a hurry at that rate.

This is the price list that really annoys me.

Dial Tone Line.............................$7.87

Taxes, fees, etc
Federal Excise Tax......................... .43
PA Gross Receipts Tax Surcharge...... .35
PA Relay Surcharge........................ .08
E911.......................................... 1.00
Federal Subscriber Line Charge........ 5.89
Federal Universal Service Fee........... .76

Total Taxes etc............................ 8.51

Total Bill................................... $16.38

The taxes are higher than the cost of the phone line.
#19873 by bryanlyle
Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:12 am
Yup. Same deal here with Verizon. I had to get a line for our ADT system and the taxes and fees is more than the cost of the line.
#19906 by scottlindner
Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:19 pm
Groundhound wrote:Do you mean by "bypass a current call" that the security system disconnects a call in progress so it can use the line?

Yes.
#19907 by scottlindner
Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:21 pm
murphy wrote:The taxes are higher than the cost of the phone line.

Someone has to pay for the free services those taxes support. I think that's why we're about to see similar taxes with Ooma because people are dumping their landlines and the tax revenues are drying up.

Scott
#19911 by Groundhound
Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:30 pm
scottlindner wrote:
Groundhound wrote:Do you mean by "bypass a current call" that the security system disconnects a call in progress so it can use the line?
Yes.

OK, obviously different than a fax application. So if your Hub is directly connected to the security system at the phone port this function works, but if there's house wiring in between the Hub's phone port and the security system it does not? Not that I have an answer for the problem, just trying to understand it. I'm not sure I understand the reason for that feature to be honest. If you're on the phone with the 911 operator talking about some prowlers in your back yard and suddenly someone kicks in your front door, the security system disconnects your 911 call?
#19916 by murphy
Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:44 pm
Yes it does.

It's done that way so a burglar can't break in and immediately take a phone off hook to prevent the security panel from dialing out.
#19917 by scottlindner
Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:53 pm
Groundhound wrote:
scottlindner wrote:
Yes.

OK, obviously different than a fax application. So if your Hub is directly connected to the security system at the phone port this function works, but if there's house wiring in between the Hub's phone port and the security system it does not? Not that I have an answer for the problem, just trying to understand it. I'm not sure I understand the reason for that feature to be honest. If you're on the phone with the 911 operator talking about some prowlers in your back yard and suddenly someone kicks in your front door, the security system disconnects your 911 call?

I have this phone module in my network rack:

All phone drops in the house connect along the bottom, and the phone line with the dial tone on it connects in the upper left. The RJ31X connector in the middle goes to the security system. When the security system calls home it disconnects ports 1-8 on the bottom including the expansion port so it has exclusive access to the phone line connected in the upper left. The only way for me to use the Hub is to put it down in my network rack so i can connect directly to the Line In connector. I currently have my Hub down there with my Scout in the kitchen where the phone base unit is located. Since I have grown intolerant of the constant static on the Scout I want to change things around, but I can't because the Scout cannot take the security system, and the Hub cannot be moved from its current location. I could buy another Hub but that's a steep cost when I am already paying for the second line.

That's why I'm saying Ooma may need to rethink it's Premier 2 line service because it isn't really available with the Scout. I would be fine buying a second Hub to use for my second line if there was a way to bridge them together and pay for only one Premier service. That still would be steep considering each hub comes with one line. Hopefully they could change their software to support this configuration, and a different pricing model for multiple hubs when used together.

Scott
#19918 by Groundhound
Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:54 pm
murphy wrote:Yes it does.

It's done that way so a burglar can't break in and immediately take a phone off hook to prevent the security panel from dialing out.

OK, sorry to go OT here, but I may shop for a security system in the near future and aside from being VoIP friendly, I was wondering about how they deal with criminals who might be thinking about disarming a security system. What's to prevent the criminal from just visiting the spot on your house where the cable and phone lines come in with a pair of insulated snips before breaking in? If he's thinking enough ahead to take the phone off hook wouldn't he also think about just cutting the wires? Is some sort of radio or cell communication common with these units today?
#19919 by scottlindner
Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:55 pm
If the Scout didn't have the static problem there wouldn't be an issue. If the Scout worked for security systems there wouldn't be a problem. The problem is, the Scout does have these problems.

I haven't tried the security system with the Scout yet so I don't know it won't work, but from the posts no this forum it sounds like it won't.

Scott
#19920 by scottlindner
Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:57 pm
Groundhound wrote:
murphy wrote:Yes it does.

OK, sorry to go OT here, but I may shop for a security system in the near future and aside from being VoIP friendly, I was wondering about how they deal with criminals who might be thinking about disarming a security system. What's to prevent the criminal from just visiting the spot on your house where the cable and phone lines come in with a pair of insulated snips before breaking in? If he's thinking enough ahead to take the phone off hook wouldn't he also think about just cutting the wires? Is some sort of radio or cell communication common with these units today?

Nothing at all, and that's what the smart crooks do. They only catch the dumb ones.

I have been considering setting up a broadband service as a fail over to my DSL for the very reason you describe. Of course this is just thinking and I'll probably never do it, but who knows.. maybe.

Scott