Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#19783 by scottlindner
Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:52 am
Do security systems work over Scouts, or are they similar to fax machines in this regard?

Scott
#19787 by but2002
Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:20 am
Since the scout seems to attach and accompanying static sound to all outgoing audio, I'd assume it would be VERY hard for the security system to send any information. So I would HIGHLY recommend that you would use the HUB for this regard.
#19803 by scottlindner
Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:10 am
That's why I asked. Does anyone know if it works with a Scout? I mean someone that actually did it and determined it works, or does not work?
#19808 by ggilman
Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:46 am
I haven't done that so these are just my thoughts but I would think that a security system would really work no different than a fax. They'd both rely on bandwidth frequencies that aren't necessarily perceptible to humans (i.e. audio compression would highly interfere), as well as guaranteed signal order & delivery (TCP packets could get dropped and/or reordered. These can be recoverable issues but only if you're expecting them & faxes don't expect this. There is some error correction but very different than what you'd need in a TCP system). They are both assuming analog phone lines so, I don't see how they'd really behave any differently.

Technically I think you "can" get either a fax or security system message through a scout. The odds are just much worse than going through a hub directly since there's an additional layer of communication added in. So, even if someone posted that their system worked perfectly fine with a scout, I'm not sure it would mean much. They could have flawless Internet connection with fiber run straight to their house, along with brand new house wiring & the scout located 2" away from the hub & a different security system than yours.

I seem to recall at least one post of someone using a fax through a scout with some success. It can work, it's just not too likely. I think your chances with a security system are the same.

Anyway, just some rambling thoughts.
#19814 by scottlindner
Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:42 am
It seems like Ooma needs to rethink it's treatment of two lines and/or answering machines. The only way to support a security system is to put your Hub somewhere you cannot use the VM features. I could get into the full ripple affect problems that are created by this situation.

That's why I was asking. I can no longer tolerate the Scout voice quality problems, but I'm paying for Premier and that's the only way to take advantage of what I'm paying for. Since the second line is nearly useless, Premier's value is not so good anymore. Dropping Premier isn't an option because you are forced to use Ooma's VM rather than your own answering machine, and you cannot use the Hub for VM because you need to put it somewhere out of sight to use with a security system.

I think the only solution is to buy a second hub just for security. Is that what most people are doing?

I skipped over the ripple effect limitations that are caused by the situation, so I know this is a summary.

Scott
#19815 by Groundhound
Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:49 am
scottlindner wrote:It seems like Ooma needs to rethink it's treatment of two lines and/or answering machines. The only way to support a security system is to put your Hub somewhere you cannot use the VM features. I could get into the full ripple affect problems that are created by this situation.

If your Hub's phone port is connected to your home wiring then the security system phone connection and and Hub do not have to be co-located.
#19822 by murphy
Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:09 am
scottlindner wrote:I think the only solution is to buy a second hub just for security. Is that what most people are doing?

I have a basic Verizon POTs line for the security system. No long distance, no regional dialing and no features. Every local call costs 7 cents. The call to the alarm central station is an 800 number.
If anyone does call the number it doesn't ring any phones in the house.

Security dialing is too important to risk it on the ups and downs of Comcast Cable.
#19851 by scottlindner
Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:03 am
Groundhound wrote:
scottlindner wrote:It seems like Ooma needs to rethink it's treatment of two lines and/or answering machines. The only way to support a security system is to put your Hub somewhere you cannot use the VM features. I could get into the full ripple affect problems that are created by this situation.

If your Hub's phone port is connected to your home wiring then the security system phone connection and and Hub do not have to be co-located.

Not really true. The security system cannot bypass a current call with that configuration.

Scott
#19855 by scottlindner
Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:04 am
murphy wrote:
scottlindner wrote:I think the only solution is to buy a second hub just for security. Is that what most people are doing?

I have a basic Verizon POTs line for the security system. No long distance, no regional dialing and no features. Every local call costs 7 cents. The call to the alarm central station is an 800 number.
If anyone does call the number it doesn't ring any phones in the house.

Security dialing is too important to risk it on the ups and downs of Comcast Cable.

What is the monthly cost for that basic line? I had a basic line with QWest and it cost me $42/mo. A second Hub will be much cheaper in a hurry at that rate.

Scott
#19856 by Groundhound
Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:05 am
scottlindner wrote:
Groundhound wrote:

Not really true. The security system cannot bypass a current call with that configuration.

Scott

Interesting, I do it that way with my fax and it works for me. Do you mean by "bypass a current call" that the security system disconnects a call in progress so it can use the line?