Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#19098 by quikbyte
Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:02 pm
Just activated my Hub. I have a existing home phone systems, a Vtech base with four extensions. I will replace this system with single line, featureless cordless phones. I've done some research but am not satisfied with the information that is available from phone manufacturers. Any suggestions for single line, feartureless (no Caller ID, no VMX, no etc.), cordless phones that work really well with ooma's Hub and Scout? Thanks in advance.
#19101 by murphy
Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:15 pm
Just plug the vtech base into your ooma hub. You don't need to buy additional phones.
#19102 by BryanS
Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:19 pm
Agreed. If you like your current phone system, keep it. Turn off the phone's answering machine and enjoy. I still have the Panasonic TGA2700 system.

If you are looking for an excuse to get a new phone setup, just about any will work. It is hard to find a cordless expandable system with no frills.
#19103 by southsound
Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:23 pm
First off, welcome to ooma and to the forum! I think you're going to like it here. Lots of great people with an astounding amount of technical expertise. That said, let's answer your first question.

In replacing your existing phone system the main thing you will want to do it purchase a system that uses DECT 6.0 technology. The specification makes sure your phones will not interfer with wireless devices like a router, iPod, or media streamer. I personally like two major brands - Uniden and Panasonic. There are cheaper alternatives but usually the quality suffers. I would consider both Uniden and Panasonic to be commercial quality systems. The next part of your requirement is going to be a little more difficult. Almost any new cordless system will have features you don't want - like answering machine capability, caller ID, address book, etc. You don't have to use these features if you don't want to, but due to mass marketing appeal, you really aren't paying any more for them.

I just bought my second 5-handset system from Staples. It is a Uniden 1580-5 and sells for $99. Today is the last day to use a coupon code for $25 off at checkout. With free shipping that comes out to $15 per handset with no rebates. The phones have intercom capability, can do conference calls (multiple handsets on the call at once), have a system wide plus individual address book, and speakerphones in the handsets that work quite well. I just keep the answering function turned off. The VM indicators show when there is a message waiting on the ooma. Just a suggestion, YMMV. :cool:
Last edited by southsound on Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#19105 by quikbyte
Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:49 pm
Dang...you guys ARE good. Didn't expect the volume or quality. Feel like I'm in good hands.

That said, here's my strategy...
I have ooma's Premier Service and a Scout. I need to put both of them to work. I want to take advantage of the second line feature with the Scout AND get all I can get out of Premier Services. I am using a cable provider for internet access.

My Vtech base unit is wall mounted. The ac/dc adapter is plugged in to a wall receptacle below the base unit with the power wire running inside the wall. There is no cable outlet near the base unit area that will accommodate the Hub internet connection. SO....I was considering using single line units so I can: 1.) wall mount an extension where the base unit is now located, 2.) install the ooma Hub in my office, 3.) install the Scout in my bedroom where cable is accessible, 4.) use additional Scouts for each single line cordless unit.

Phew. Am I even in the ballpark here with my thinking????
#19106 by hpepper
Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:53 pm
Welcome to Ooma and the Forums.

I have a cordless Dect 2-phone system from Unidaen as well - from Walmart. The voicemail light blinks when there is a voicemail (set up as FSK), has a voicemail button which I programmed with my own number, so when you press it, the Ooma voicemail lady comes right on - no need to put in my PIN. The quality is crystal clear, even at long distances out in my yard and down the street. It also has Caller ID and phone to phone Intercom and several other nice features. The batteries last a long time as I often leave the phones off the chargers for long periods of time. It is a model DECT2060.
#19107 by southsound
Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:12 pm
quikbyte wrote:Dang...you guys ARE good. Didn't expect the volume or quality. Feel like I'm in good hands.

That said, here's my strategy...
I have ooma's Premier Service and a Scout. I need to put both of them to work. I want to take advantage of the second line feature with the Scout AND get all I can get out of Premier Services. I am using a cable provider for internet access.

My Vtech base unit is wall mounted. The ac/dc adapter is plugged in to a wall receptacle below the base unit with the power wire running inside the wall. There is no cable outlet near the base unit area that will accommodate the Hub internet connection. SO....I was considering using single line units so I can: 1.) wall mount an extension where the base unit is now located, 2.) install the ooma Hub in my office, 3.) install the Scout in my bedroom where cable is accessible, 4.) use additional Scouts for each single line cordless unit.

Phew. Am I even in the ballpark here with my thinking????

Actually there are almost as many acceptable configurations as there are users. A couple of things to consider: even though the instructions say you need a scout for each single line phone you can power your entire house or multiple cordless handsets using only the hub. If there are several people in the house who need either their own number or will want to access the phone when another is using it, then the scout is indeed required. But you could get by with just one scout by connecting it to the hub and connecting a multi-handset base to the hub and another to the scout. That gives you two independent phone lines (if you choose to use two numbers) or an additional set of phones to use if a second call comes in or you need to make a call when others are on the main line. Some of us use the phone port of the hub to power the entire house and use the scout for voicemail access (but don't even have phone plugged into the scout). Also remember that you can put the hub in your office as noted and use the existing house wiring to feed the wall mounted vtech base. Most of will recommend disconnecting the telco wiring from the street at the network interface box to eliminate possible interference. I'm sure many others will give suggestions as well, but you have a lot of great options and you're in a good place to explore them.
#19108 by quikbyte
Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:35 pm
Sincere thanks to all for your welcome(s) and responses. Genuinely comprehensive and usable.

Now, I'm hunched over the Hub and Scout, rubbing grimy hands together and drooling over the options. That's what I wanted...options.

Will be back with the results as soon as my design is implemented.

Once again, sincere thanks to all.

And to you, southsound, personal regards for your efforts !!!!!