Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#18849 by kdmc69
Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:03 am
Let me start out by saying that I've been a satisfied Ooma customer for over a year now. My initial port from ViaTalk to Ooma went smoothly and was completed in a very short period of time. Other than some initial "tweaks" I've had zero problems other than the system outage this past spring. After working my way through Vonage, SunRocket and Viatalk in a short period of time, I feel the best decision I've made in years was moving to Ooma!
Now for the reason I'm posting this: I live in a house built, and wired, in the late 70's. My wiring is original and very flaky. My initial attempt to locate a scout in a different part of the house from the hub was not successful due to the wiring. So, I did as many others on the forum have done. I connected the scout directly to the hub and went with wireless phones. However, for various reasons, I would like to wire my entire house, along with a new addition, with Cat5. Since I am cheap, I want to do it myself, but lack the expertise needed. I can run the wire, but have no idea how to connect everything together to make it function properly. Can anyone here point me in the right direction? Any on-line instructions, articles, etc. would be appreciated.

Thanks, ya'll. I read the forum every day and know that there are a lot of people posting here that know what they are doing when it comes to things like this. I'll appreciate any help you can provide.
#18852 by niknak
Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:22 am
You can run the wire but what you need to do is "terminate" it on both ends. The best way to do this is to run all your wires back to one central location and terminate them at a "patch panel"

You'd do best to use CAT6 lor CAT5E wire. (these are rated for higher speeds ethernet) but CAT5 will work too.

The wire has four pairs that are color coded - orange/orange white
blue/blue white, green/green white, and brown/brown white

There is a certain convention to be followed but basically the color pairs are your pair of wires - a phone system need 1 pair of wires, a network connection uses 4

after all wires are connected to the patch panel ( panel is color coded to match the CAT5/6 wires), you can run them to individual locations and connect to a wall Jack...Jack is color coded also but basically you are wiring all colors "straight throuigh" so pin 1 on the panel is pin 1 on the jack and so on to pin 8 for each CAT5/6 wire

Once you are all wired up you can make selections of which pair of wires you need

This is the basic way of doing it...it's best to have the panel located near your cable/dsl modem and router or make sure you place jacks from that equipment to where you want the hub and scout located

hope this helps
#18862 by kdmc69
Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:08 am
niknak wrote:You'd do best to use CAT6 lor CAT5E wire. (these are rated for higher speeds ethernet) but CAT5 will work too.

I'm assuming that since I haven't already purchased the cable I would be better off going with the Cat6 then.

niknak wrote:There is a certain convention to be followed but basically the color pairs are your pair of wires - a phone system need 1 pair of wires, a network connection uses 4

I'm not sure what you mean by "certain convention". How do I determine that?
niknak wrote:Once you are all wired up you can make selections of which pair of wires you need

Not sure how I would do this.

Sorry for all the questions, but as I indicated, I am a novice at all this.
I do appreciate your responses, though.

Thanks.
#18864 by thbjr
Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:18 am
I'm not sure what you mean by "certain convention". How do I determine that?

When wiring for a network with cat5/5E/6, the standard/conventional wiring diagram is below.
Attachments
568-b.JPG
568-b.JPG (5.62 KiB) Viewed 1703 times
#18870 by kdmc69
Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:39 am
Thanks everyone. Looks like I've got some reading to do. :-)
I'll hopefully be able to tackle this project soon. I appreciate the help.
I'll be back with the results, or more questions!
#18918 by ggilman
Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:29 pm
Orange tracer-Orange- Green tracer-Blue-Blue tracer-Green-Brown Tracer-Brown... still can't get that out of my head. Built literally thousands and thousands of feet of cable, Cat5 and other misc. ones when I stared as a Co-Op nearly 20 years ago.