Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#16927 by lilolme2121
Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:48 pm
A friend told me that "Ooma" shows up in her caller ID instead of my first and last name.

How to change this?

She was laughing because she is Samoan and "Ooma" means "lazy ass" or something like that in Samoan. (don't quote me on the translation).
#16937 by scottlindner
Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:42 am
Caller ID is intended to identify you. It sounds like it's working just fine. J/K :)

There isn't a direct way for users to change the Caller ID information. It was created when you did the first registration of your Ooma. You'll need to call Ooma support to get it fixed.

Scott
#16945 by thbjr
Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:00 am
Support will tell you it takes 5-10 business days for your name to populate CID. Having said that, my name only started accompanying my CID when my number was ported, about 4 week after initial setup.
#16946 by Aveamantium
Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:02 am
lilolme2121 wrote:A friend told me that "Ooma" shows up in her caller ID instead of my first and last name.

How to change this?

She was laughing because she is Samoan and "Ooma" means "lazy ass" or something like that in Samoan. (don't quote me on the translation).

Go into the lounge and under Preferences/Phone numbers click on your phone number and see what it says for "name displayed for outbound calls". If this is correct it may take a couple of weeks for this to get updated through the other networks. If not then call Ooma and see if they can get it straightened out for you.
#17018 by CMguy
Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:11 pm
Read somewhere on one of these forums that it could take 2 to 3 weeks. However, I did my set-up 4 weeks ago yesterday and my number still shows up as Ooma, Inc on caller ID when I place a call. Will be calling Tech Support when they open tomorrow. Just don't want folks to think I'm some marketeer or other unwanted caller. If it takes this long to flip the switch on Caller ID, I wonder how long it will take for 911 to know where I am should I have to call.
#17035 by niknak
Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:31 pm
..if it takes this long to flip the switch on Caller ID, I wonder how long it will take for 911 to know where I am should I have to call..

It is not a matter of flipping a switch, nor is it something ooma can do. all ooma can do is make sure the caller id info is correct and enter it into the CID database. different telephone companies across the country use different databases..it takes a few weeks for that information to find its way into the databases
#17066 by southsound
Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:10 pm
I have most of my friends used to my new name of "Unavailable" since it is all my system has displayed since February when I first installed it. I've had several open tickets that seem to get closed without resolution. I've made many calls about it only to hear the "you have to wait until it propagates" line. I've got to tell you, elephants propagate faster than CNAME on an ooma line.

Don't get me wrong - I love my ooma system. I love the company and their management. I've just come to realize that it will never show my name and I can't do squat about it. YMMV.

In a 12-Step support group my wife and I lead, we have this thing called the Serenity Prayer. It starts off, "God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." CNAME is certainly one of the former. :razz:
#17082 by bw1
Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:34 am
Do you also do the Man's Prayer: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess."?

Or maybe the the racoon's Prayer: "I'm a racoon, but I can change, if I have to, I guess."?
#17109 by southsound
Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:07 am
bw1 wrote:Or maybe the the racoon's Prayer: "I'm a racoon, but I can change, if I have to, I guess."?

I suppose I could but why would I want to? I figure being the first raccoon with VOIP makes me kind of special. And maybe the reason why my caller ID says Unavailable is a future thing - when I get famous I won't be available! :razz:
#17121 by StevenJohn
Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:23 am
bw1 wrote:Do you also do the Man's Prayer: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess."?

Or maybe the the racoon's Prayer: "I'm a racoon, but I can change, if I have to, I guess."?

I really miss Red Green.

sj