Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#16866 by Diggs
Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:55 am
First I want to say that ooma really did a great job on my number port! I have read others complain, and have seen a review where ooma was hit hard for something the user did wrong when porting (Disconnected previous service prior to completing the port). Mine went ultra smooth!

Second, I thought the first time I logged into the lounge there was an option to disable the ooma custom dial tone. I can't find it now. I would prefer a plain dial tone, can anyone help with that?

Lastly, does anyone else have any problems when calling magic jack numbers? ooma is very clean (better than a standard land line IMO) for all calls except for one buddy I call who has a magic jack. The funny thing is, he says the same with my ooma. He says when he calls me it sounds bad, but all other calls he makes are very clean. What gives ??

Thanks ooma and everyone else for any help on those two items.

Diggs
#16885 by arkumar15
Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:44 am
Hi Diggs,

My co-brother used Magic Jack. We call him almost everyday or else they call us. Couple of times we have call quality problem with their magic jack. I think it is the problem with the magic jack. Other than that i never had any problem with ooma.

Diggs wrote:First I want to say that ooma really did a great job on my number port! I have read others complain, and have seen a review where ooma was hit hard for something the user did wrong when porting (Disconnected previous service prior to completing the port). Mine went ultra smooth!

Second, I thought the first time I logged into the lounge there was an option to disable the ooma custom dial tone. I can't find it now. I would prefer a plain dial tone, can anyone help with that?

Lastly, does anyone else have any problems when calling magic jack numbers? ooma is very clean (better than a standard land line IMO) for all calls except for one buddy I call who has a magic jack. The funny thing is, he says the same with my ooma. He says when he calls me it sounds bad, but all other calls he makes are very clean. What gives ??

Thanks ooma and everyone else for any help on those two items.

Diggs
#16889 by daet
Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:18 pm
arkumar15 wrote:My co-brother used Magic Jack. We call him almost everyday or else they call us. Couple of times we have call quality problem with their magic jack. I think it is the problem with the magic jack. Other than that i never had any problem with ooma.

I've experienced poor call quality when calling a friend's Skype number.

DG
P.S. What's a co-brother?
#16892 by kdmc69
Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:14 pm
I likewise have poor voice quality when calling a friend that uses Skype. It also happens when they call me.
#19144 by Diggs
Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:53 am
Thanks for the replies, seems I am having more problems with the friend and his Magic Jack. I looked at my call log yesterday and noticed that he called me twice the day before. I went through the caller ID on my phone and his number did not come up. There was also no voicemail message from him. I messaged him on the PC and asked if he had called, and he said yes, asked him to call again and he got the same results. He gets a ring on his end, but never voicemail and my phones never register the call, but it shows up in the call logs via the ooma website.

I don't understand how it can register on my call log, but not make it to my phone. I am very happy with my ooma device and service so far, and this might be a MJ issue not an ooma issue, but he says he has zero problems when calling cell phones and traditional land line phones?

Has anyone else see this or have any tips on how to get it working properly?

Thanks again,

Diggs
#19147 by niknak
Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:18 am
...I don't understand how it can register on my call log, but not make it to my phone...

This sounds like a switching problem between telcos

..Has anyone else see this or have any tips on how to get it working properly..

Keep a log of the dates and times of attempted calls by your friend
then call ooma support and explain the problem and give them the logs so their engineers can trace the calls
#19154 by scottlindner
Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:57 am
I have been using Ooma for several months and I seem to have problems calling IVR based teleconference systems and Magic Jack. When I call my brother's phone that is on Magic Jack the call quality is awful on my end but they never notice anything on their end.

Since both scenarios are VOIP based, I sometimes wonder if there are unique VOIP vs VOIP problems that are hard to track down, and may not be related entirely to only one carrier or the other.

Scott
#19155 by murphy
Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:06 am
Has your brother tested his uplink QOS? Poor uplink QOS would affect how well you hear him.