Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#17313 by Aveamantium
Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:10 am
If you block your own number, can you still dial your own number from an "Ooma Phone" and get to your voicemail? I can try it tonight when I get home but I was just wondering if anyone had tested this yet?
#17357 by kdmc69
Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:34 pm
I blocked my number since I have received quite a few of the "spoofed" calls. I waited about ten minutes and then called myself from my Ooma phone and I went through to VM with no problem. So, if the block took effect in that period of time, it appears you can get to your VM.
#18511 by 1kenthomas
Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:17 pm
Bobby B wrote:We've added the ability to blacklist your own numbers (it sounds strange I know). This should be a stop-gap measure for caller-ID spoofing until we can build something a bit more sophisticated that will auto-detect caller-ID spoofing and take corrective action.

Does this mean that if we are not Premium subscribers, we do not have a defense against spoofing?

(BTW, spoof attacks began just after switching to OOMA-- I suspect AT&T simply does not allow such calls).

Thanks!
#18561 by Groundhound
Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:57 am
No, do some Googling and you will find that other companies, notably some cell phone companies, have had to deal with the same issue. Some have done so by offering the ability to turn off VM access from the main account number without entering a PIN code - a loss of convenience but definitely stops the security problem. Ooma's approach so far is different, and I think they have termed their current solution as temporary until a better solution is identified.