Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#16645 by CaseyE
Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:05 pm
I have someone who calls me that has the ability to "spoof" the caller id number. They are savvy enough to know if they make my caller id register my phone number, I am unable to block the call. When I attempt to blacklist my own phone number, I get a reply that says "You cannot enter phone numbers assigned to your ooma system."

Anyone have a way to fix this situation?
#16647 by southsound
Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:17 pm
It is even more serious than you may know. In fact, it may be a real security hole. From previous posts, if someone does spoof your ooma number they go to voicemail as if it were you calling from your home phone. No password required. I have no way to test it, but others have claimed they have witnessed the behavior when a call came in while they were home.
#17161 by Bobby B
Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:30 pm
We've added the ability to blacklist your own numbers (it sounds strange I know). This should be a stop-gap measure for caller-ID spoofing until we can build something a bit more sophisticated that will auto-detect caller-ID spoofing and take corrective action.
#17300 by bc3tech
Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:44 am
Bobby B wrote:...
auto-detect caller-ID spoofing and take corrective action.
now that will be a badass & useful feature

cold the corrective action include a power surge through the phone line back at the caller? :D
#17310 by thbjr
Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:49 am
cold the corrective action include a power surge through the phone line back at the caller?

Now that would give a whole new meaning to the term 'tele-zapper' ...LOL!