Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#16501 by sgretch
Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:46 am
When my number was ported over and my landline cancelled, my hub continued to work but the scout did not.

I did a wall to wall port connect between the hub and scout and the scout then worked. So the problem should be with my phone jacks. But I know all the jacks are wired and working properly.

Can a scout be used if you don't have landline service? What could I try next?
#16503 by southsound
Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:32 pm
The scout should work just fine without a landline. Since you have checked the hub and scout with a short cable between wall jacks, then we know that something else must have changed to make the scout not work in the distant location. Let's talk about your wiring for a second - are you powering your phones in the house with the phone jack on the back of the hub or are you completely cordless using only a base station plugged into the phone jack? What is plugged into the wall jack on the hub? In the remote location, how are you connected between the scout and the hub? Any changes since the port?
#16525 by sgretch
Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:00 pm
There were no changes in the set up after the port. Basically the set up is as follows:

The ooma scout is plugged into the outlet for power as is a cordless phone that rests on a base station. A phone line goes from the wall port of the scout to the phone jack on the wall. The second phone line goes from the phone port of the scout to the base of the cordless phone. It is set up as it is detailed in the manual.

Since the problem happened when my number was ported over, and I made no set up changes, I can't help think this issue had something to do with that.

Scott
#16527 by niknak
Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:04 pm
There needs to be continuity on the line between the wall ports on the hub and scout
#16529 by niknak
Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:17 pm
sgretch wrote:What do you mean by continuity?

The same two wires need to be connected at both ends
#16530 by sgretch
Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:20 pm
They are... I think. The phone line from the wall port of the hub is connected to a phone jack in one room. The phone line on the wall port of the scout is connected to a phone jack in another room... both phone jacks are connected/on the same line.

Scott
#16531 by niknak
Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:27 pm
in your first post you said the scout worked when connected directly with a cable to the hub, that would suggest that there is a problem with

1, one of the cables going to the wall from the hub or scout
2, one of the wall jacks in the rooms the hub and scout are in
3, the cable in the walls connecting the two

try cleaning the wall jacks with compressed air
try changing connecting cables
if you have access to a toner or network cable tester you could check the continuity of the lines
#16534 by thbjr
Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:53 pm
If the house was wired with star tropology or even a multi leg daisy chain wiring, when they disconnected the landline service, they may well have disconnected the wires at the interface box. If they did, that would explain why they were working until the disconnect. then if the wires were seperated in the interface box, there would not be continuity between the jacks anymore.
Does that make any sence? Sometimes I hace a hard time explaining.
In other words, the phone company may have disconnected/seperated your house phone wiring in the interface box.
Tom

OK I tried to draw a pic. If the 4 phone jacks shown are all connected in the interface box, then you have continuity between all the jacks, but if the wires are seperated in the box, then you would have the problem you are discribing.
Have a good chuckle at my artwork...
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (19.39 KiB) Viewed 1840 times