Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#16222 by kristiechuck
Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:50 am
I have Ooma set up with my landline. Currently when I make an outgoing long-distance call (handled by Ooma over the internet), and receive an incoming call on the landline, I hear the familiar Call Waiting signal and am able to flash between the incoming landline call and the outgoing internet call.

I want to retain that ability. Do I need to continue paying my local provider for Call Waiting? It seems to me that I would not, but other threads discussing the Call Waiting feature have left me unsure. I wanted to ask first so that I don't cancel Call Waiting on my landline and then end up regretting it.

Thanks so much for your help!
#16224 by murphy
Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:02 am
According to the ooma User Guide (Page 2) the only feature that should be on your land line is Call Forwarding on Busy.
#16307 by kristiechuck
Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:07 pm
bw1 wrote:Here is more info:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1537&p=9299&hilit=Call+Forward#p9299

That is the very post that caused me to wonder about the need to subscribe to Call Waiting on my landline despite the advice on page 2 of the User Guide. However, the post also mentions having both a landline and an Ooma number. I was not presented with the option of both an Ooma number and a landline, but rather was presented with a choice between the two.

I was just hoping to better understand how Ooma works.

Thanks for the responses.
#16316 by niknak
Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:01 am
...however, the post also mentions having both a landline and an Ooma number. I was not presented with the option of both an Ooma number and a landline, but rather was presented with a choice between the two..

You must have misread the FAQs. You can either run ooma without a landine, or integrate it with you existing landline.
If you choose to run it without a landline, you can choose a new ooma number or elect to have your old number ported over to ooma
#16335 by bw1
Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:14 am
It sounds like you need to check with support. From what I read in that post from Dennis P, you would need to add CFB onto your landline phone service and get a number from Ooma that you can forward to and then you can drop call waiting with your landline phone service.

I would get it the number from Ooma and add the CFB with your landline phone service without removing call waiting.

Then you can test it by dialing *70 and making a local phone call which will temporarily turn off call waiting and use your landline to make the call. Then have another call come into your landline number which should then give call waiting through Ooma if everything works correctly.

If it works, then you know you can cancel call waiting with your landline phone service.