Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#16283 by mthomtech
Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:52 pm
ninnak, Wayne and others,

What does your home screen on the setup page say when you DO NOT have a landline provisioned.

Just curious. I never paid too much attention before, but mine now says "Connected" for phone line and "You phone line is configured for the ooma network" for phone setup. Just curious if that is the normal messages even if you don't have a landline provisioned.

Thanks.
#16284 by niknak
Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:52 pm
If that's the case then I agree with what you are saying...ooma CS needs to escalate this issue to their engineers
Thanks for clearing this up!
#16285 by niknak
Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:55 pm
mthomtech wrote:ninnak, Wayne and others,

What does your home screen on the setup page say when you DO NOT have a landline provisioned.

Just curious. I never paid too much attention before, but mine now says "Connected" for phone line and "You phone line is configured for the ooma network" for phone setup. Just curious if that is the normal messages even if you don't have a landline provisioned.

Thanks.

my hub is not readily accessible. I never DMZ'd the hub to router
left well enough alone
If no one else can tell us, I will bring a laptop to the basement and plug in to the ooma's home port later on
#16286 by WayneDsr
Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:56 pm
Probably the same as yours:
Phone Setup: Your phone line is configured for the ooma network

I do NOT have a landline provisioned.

Wayne
#16294 by mthomtech
Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:13 pm
Thanks guys.

Yes Wayne suggestion of DMZ'ing so you can access the setup page was great. So much more convenient for me.

Looks like these setup screen messages are normal.

I wonder what to cause of this issue was. I'm curious. It seems that it happened to Titanium and I at nearly the same time yesterday. Wonder if there was some kind of wierd glitch in the server at that time or something.
#16302 by Aveamantium
Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:05 pm
Just to clear up, this is the help menu from the hub and what each item means...

The home page displays several key status indicators of the ooma system:

Internet A "Connected" status indicates that the ooma Hub is able to reach the Internet. Computers or routers that are plugged into the "HOME" port of the ooma Hub will also be able to reach the Internet.
Ooma Core A "Connected" status indicates ooma's central servers are currently reachable. If you observe a "Disconnected" status, please ensure no application ports are blocked upstream of the ooma Hub. For a list of ooma service ports, please visit the ooma Support knowledgebase
Phone Line A "Connected" status indicates a powered phone line is connected to the "WALL" port of the ooma Hub. Normally a powered line is detected when the "WALL" port of the ooma Hub is plugged into a phone jack with an active landline.

The home page also lists several available ooma Services. To configure and learn more about these ooma services, please visit the ooma Lounge

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Network Settings
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The network settings page lists several configuration options for the "MODEM" port on the ooma Hub:

Network Connection By default, the network connection is set to automatic, which is the recommended setting under most circumstances. In automatic mode, the ooma Hub will attempt to obtain an IP address via PPPoE or DHCP based on what is available in your network setup. If there is a preference to force a specific mode to obtain an IP address, select the appropriate network connection option.
PPPoE PPPoE is typically used with DSL connections. In cases where the hub is in front of a router with existing PPPoE credentials, no username or password is required to be entered, since the hub will automatically pass authentication information to the upstream provider. Usually the username for PPPoE connections will be your email address that was given to you by your provider.
Static IP Options If you wish to set a static IP address on the ooma Hub, fill in the appropriate, IP, netmask, DNS and Router (gateway) address information.
MODEM Port MAC Address The ooma Hub has a built in (sometimes called "burnt-in") physical MAC Address on the MODEM port. The ooma Hub's MODEM port can also be configured with a custom MAC address. The "Automatic" option is selected by default. When the "Automatic" option is selected, the ooma Hub will automatically select a MAC address that will allow it to establish a connection to ooma's central servers. This automatic selection includes attempting to clone the MAC address of the networking device (ex: router or computer) currently connected to the HOME port.
HOME Port MAC Address The ooma Hub has a built in physical MAC Address on the HOME port. This cannot be changed, but is shown here for reference.

Advanced Settings

The Advanced Settings is where ooma Hub advanced configurations are set. The following table provides more information on each configuration option:

Home Port The Home Port section allows the changing of the default IP address that is assigned to the HOME port on the ooma Hub. The default IP address is 172.27.35.1 and the default netmask is 255.255.255.0
DHCP Configuration By default, most computers and other networking devices (such as routers) will automatically pick an IP address via the DHCP protocol. The IP address that is selected is from the range selected in the DHCP configuration. Typically the range selected is in the same network as configured in the Home Port Settings.
The default DHCP range is 172.27.35.10 to 172.27.35.160.

DMZ When configured, all network traffic destined to the external IP address of the hub is automatically forwarded to the DMZ IP address, which is typically an IP address on the HOME port.
Quality of Service (QoS) QoS allows the ooma Hub to intelligently prioritize voice traffic over data traffic, ensuring the highest voice quality. The QoS voice prioritization will only occur when there are active voice calls. In order to make decisions on how to prioritize traffic, the ooma Hub needs to have an upstream internet speed configured (384 Kbps by default).
To optimize the network speeds during voice calls, the upstream internet speed can be changed. In most cases you will not need to turn on QoS in the downstream direction and you also won't need to adjust the default reserved bandwidth for calls (160 Kbps). For more information about setting these QoS settings, please refer to article, "Configuring Quality of Service" found on the ooma Support Website.

Port Forwarding Certain applications and networking devices require port forwarding to be configured. Example devices include a SlingBox or desktop computer with remote desktop configured.
In order to set up port forwarding, you will need to know the application port used (such as TCP 3389 for Windows remote desktop) and the internal IP address, which is the IP address on your home network.

If you have a wireless router between the ooma Hub and your networking device, you will need to forward the traffic to the wireless router IP address and then set a port forwarding rule on your wireless router.

Port forwarding rules can be added with several options. To add a simple single port forwarding rule, specify the source port "Start Port" and the destination IP address. To add a port forwarding rule with a range, simply specify an "End Port" so that all port numbers between the "Start Port" and the "End Port" will be forwarded to the specified IP address. If a port forwarding rule includes a range and a destination port, all ports in that range will be forwarded to the specified destination port. You can configure up to 50 port forwarding rules.

Device Status

The device status page shows additional details about the active services running on the ooma Hub.

Network The Network tab displays the status of the ooma VPN tunnel and the MODEM and HOME interfaces. The numbered address next to the MODEM and HOME interfaces is the IP address of that specific interface.
Services The Services section lists the running services on the ooma Hub. All the services listed (besides "Free") should be in the "Running" state

Ports

The ports tab displays the output of the interface configuration of the ooma Hub. The output displayed is similar to the "ifconfig" command used on unix, OS X and linux based machines.
This output can be used as a troubleshooting tool if there are network connectivity problems. To verify data and voice packets are being received out of and into a particular interface, use the TXpackets and RXpackets counters. To verify problems with the interface functionality, check for consistent increments of the errors, dropped, and/or overruns counters [these counters should be a low number or 0].
#16385 by TITANIUM
Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:57 am
Digested all the material. Understood most of it. Tried various options as suggested. Ooma is still dead. Pounding on her buttons and blowing into the ethernet connection does not help. It has to be simple. Go ahead, make my day.
#16411 by WayneDsr
Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:03 pm
TITANIUM . Please call customer support. Your issue can be fixed. Above
mthomtech told you the ticket number for you to reference. We don't have the ability to make changes to oomas system from the forum!

it seems like the same issue I was having last night? In case you need my ticket number for reference, it was CS14043.

Wayne