Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#15348 by Kneo
Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:42 pm
I am trying to forward some ports but I am really confused.

I have my cable modem>ooma hub>Dlink DGL-4500 Wireless Router. The OOMA works great and I am able to connect to the internet with all my devices that are connected to the router.

The problems I am having is as follows:

1. I am not able to connect to my home server outside my network. Before I had OOMA I could do this

2. My Utorrent says my port is not forwarded. However in my router settings I have set up port forwarding.

I got into http://www.setup.ooma.com and try to forward the ports but I get the message The Forwarding Address must be on the Home subnet.

Can someone please explain to me what I need to do to get the port forwarding set up correctly.

I would appreciate any help provided.

Thank you
#15350 by Aveamantium
Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:54 pm
Just put the IP address that the ooma assigns to the router in ooma's DMZ. You can make it easy on yourself and put something like 172.27.35.10 in the Start and End address of the DHCP Configuration and the DMZ Address in the setup.ooma.com advanced page. After you do this you'll need to reboot the router so it can grab the new IP from ooma.
#16295 by blakelyb
Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:14 pm
I have the same question and same problem, but I do not understand the answer. I think often there are many different terms for the same thing, adding to my confusion.

I have bittorrent client so I need port forwarding. It worked well until I hooked up ooma. I have DSL>modem>ooma>router>3 home computers.

Before ooma, and still, for all the computers I set up a fixed IP address called the "gateway" as 192.168.1.1 and subnet mask of 255.255.255.0.

My individual computers are set with fixed IP's as follows, and the router is set with the fixed IP's and associated ports as follows:
Comp.- IP Address - Port
Dadi - 192.168.1.123 - 54771
Momi- 192.168.1.124 - 54772
Kent - 192.168.1.125 - 54773

My router is set for WAN type = PPPoE, and LAN IP is 192.168.1.1 (same as gateway on each computer). My router and network is hard wired.

So how do I get my port forward to work again?

In Aveamantium post it says "put the IP address that the ooma assigns to the router in ooma's DMZ". in ooma advanced settings there is "Home port" and "DHCP Config.". Is one of those the "IP address that the ooma assigns to the router"?
#16297 by murphy
Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:21 pm
With the ooma hub ahead of the router you need to put the PPPoe credentials in the ooma hub and configure the router for dynamic dhcp.
Configure the ooma hub dhcp server to issue exactly one IP address (start and end the same address) and then put that address in the ooma hub DMZ location.
#16300 by blakelyb
Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:48 pm
I do not know how to do what you are saying. I may phone in for help.

What about moving ooma on the other size of my router and using QoS. Would that be less work?

So is ooma a router of sorts with one port? So I have an ooma router, then my regular router in series after?
#16304 by WayneDsr
Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:45 pm
If you want, plug ooma into your router using the MODEM port just like you would a pc. You router will give ooma an ip address and all should work well. Make sure you power cycle the modem, router and ooma after removing it from between the router and the modem.

If ooma works for you in this postition then all should be well for everything else.

Wayne
#16912 by blakelyb
Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:58 pm
My router had all its ports set for port fowarding, including the one to the ooma. Do I need to change that?

Ooma should have a thorough discussion of what to do if you use port forwarding, like for bittorrent. It should use the exact names of the ooma hardware on-line setup dialog box item descriptions so a dummy can do it.
#16913 by scottlindner
Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:13 pm
What is confusing is that with your Ooma Hub first you now have two routers, which means you need to forward the ports twice. Once in the Ooma Hub so the external ports can get from your the Internet to your router, and then again within your router to get to your home server. If you put your router in the Ooma Hub's DMZ you will not need to forward the ports from in the Ooma Hub because the DMZ automatically does that for all ports by default.

It is very common to get confused when multiple routers are in play. Especially when devices include a router and people aren't aware of it such as DSL modems which are actually routers.

Cheers,
Scott
#16919 by blakelyb
Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:50 pm
Thanks, Scott. Your posts is helping me understand. So I should go back to the normal sequence of DSL>modem>ooma>router>3 home computers.
When you say "put your router in the Ooma Hub's DMZ", does that mean to put my routers address in the Ooma Hub's DMZ. And the Ooma Hub's DMZ is input in the text box in the Ooma setup dialog box? And is my router address the same as the gateway address?

I heard DMZ is unsafe, but can I assume using DMZ is safe in the OOma, as long as my router does not use DMZ. so my router protects my network?
#16920 by atici
Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:57 pm
You have DGL-4500 which does packet scheduling. Why do you want to keep ooma the first in the chain? I have the same router and have ooma behind the router. It is in the DMZ and has highest outgoing packet priority -- works like a charm.