Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#15059 by Locke
Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:18 pm
Hi, I just got Ooma and it's connected directly to my cable modem. However, after I installed Ooma, my email clients are unable to receive or send email. Both Outlook Express and Mozilla Thunderbird return error messages indicating that pop server was not found or smtp server was not found. If i disconnect Ooma, the email clients work fine. Web based mail like gmail works. Any idea how I may be able to fix this? Thanks in advance.
#15061 by Locke
Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:51 pm
Hi, I second my last post, the email still do not work. Even with the new popserver name, it connects, but it does not recognize my password which I know for a fact is correct. So I am back to square one. Anyone knows a potential fix for the email problem. Once I disconnect Ooma, the email client works and connects to the pop-server, however once I connect Ooma, it does not connect to the pop-server. Thanks.
#15062 by ggilman
Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:11 am
Potentially ooma could be blocking ports for your email. Assuming you have a router between the ooma and your computers, I'd open the DMZ in the ooma to your router. You can do this by going to setup.ooma.com, go to the advanced tab, and set the ip address of your router into the DMZ. There's no need for you to open two sets of ports every time you want to do something, both on the ooma and your router.

Of course, if you don't have a router, or would like two levels of protection, you can open the individual ports. Normally POP mail is port 110, but could be changed by your ISP. Actually, one reason the old pop server you were given wasn't working but the new one is (except for password) could be that the old one used an alternative port that was closed on the ooma and the new port uses the standard 110, which they would probably already allow traffic on.

Aside from port blocking, the ooma shouldn't be interfering in your connections in any other way & should certainly have nothing to do with the bad password issue.
#15064 by Locke
Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:15 am
Hi there, thanks for the help. I managed to get it fix by adding an extension to the pop-server to include the full domain name and it worked. I have no idea why it is required when I have Ooma installed but not required when Ooma was not installed. Thanks.