Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#14909 by smahmoud
Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:02 am
Is there a way to disable the piece of music i hear at the beginning of the dial tone? I only have ooma and no land line so there is no need to differentiate between to dial tones and I don't like to hear this music at the beginning.

Thanks.
#14914 by murphy
Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:48 am
smahmoud wrote:Is there a way to disable the piece of music i hear at the beginning of the dial tone? I only have ooma and no land line so there is no need to differentiate between to dial tones and I don't like to hear this music at the beginning.

Thanks.

Take your phone off hook.
Wait 3 seconds before you bring it to your ear.
No more ooma dial tone.
#14937 by southsound
Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:21 am
smahmoud wrote:Is there a way to disable the piece of music i hear at the beginning of the dial tone? I only have ooma and no land line so there is no need to differentiate between to dial tones and I don't like to hear this music at the beginning.

Thanks.

Before a heated discussion begins, welcome to ooma! As Aveamantium has mentioned, the second occurance of the tone is configurable but the dialtone itself is not. The ooma dialtone may be a little different than the A 440 tone we are used to - but it doesn't affect the quality of the call and just serves as a reminder that you won't be getting a huge phone bill this month! I think it took most of us a while to get used to our cell phones NOT having dialtone. It shouldn't be too hard to get used to this. :cool:
#14939 by smahmoud
Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:31 am
southsound wrote:

Thanks.

Before a heated discussion begins, welcome to ooma! As Aveamantium has mentioned, the second occurance of the tone is configurable but the dialtone itself is not. The ooma dialtone may be a little different than the A 440 tone we are used to - but it doesn't affect the quality of the call and just serves as a reminder that you won't be getting a huge phone bill this month! I think it took most of us a while to get used to our cell phones NOT having dialtone. It shouldn't be too hard to get used to this. :cool:

Thank you for your reasonable answer and your effort to prevent a heated discussion. As you mentioned, I think by time I'll get used to the dial tone.
#14940 by atici
Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:36 am
I think ooma should allow users change this. I love my ooma and I know it's not a big deal but I think it is a fairly simple addition. Especially the connection tone is extremely annoying. It should be disabled by default.
#14945 by scottlindner
Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:01 am
atici wrote:Especially the connection tone is extremely annoying. It should be disabled by default.

It may actually be best for the Connection Tone to be on by default. When you are first using Ooma is when you trust it the least. Particularly if you are using it with an integrated landline. The only way to know if your call is being serviced by Ooma is the connection tone. Over time as you learn to trust the configuration of Ooma you'll then want to disable the connection tone.

I find the connection tone to be very annoying, but I used it for a month before turning it off because I wanted to know for sure when a call was going out over Ooma, and when it was going out over my landline.

I suppose it would make sense to turn it off by default if you are using Ooma stand alone, without an integrated landline. In that configuration all calls are service by Ooma so there is no value to the connection tone.

Scott