Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#67654 by Spiky
Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:51 am
lbmofo wrote:
Spiky wrote:I don't use Ooma vm, since I am not interested in Premier or the Telo handsets. We have vm in the phone system, a wired/wireless combo from Uniden. I've got a complex network of wires of all sorts, and I really don't want to alter that to put the Telo in charge of vm.

Telo is not in charge of the VM. VM is stored remotely on ooma servers. One benefit you get with using ooma VM is that the VM works even for incoming calls while you are on the phone. With traditional answering machines, if you don't answer the incoming call while youre on the phone, they can't leave you a VM. With ooma vm, you also get to listen to it online and from anyphone calling your own number.

Good point, I wasn't thinking about that, although seeing the device is the main way to be notified of new vm for most people. So, do you think the straight-to-vm issue is a server fault rather than in-home hardware?

None of those features are important to me, btw. We've mostly switched to cell phones in actual usage. If there hadn't been a product as inexpensive as Ooma, with 911, I likely would've pushed to simply drop our home phone entirely. I considered porting the number to a cell phone or something else and just forwarding all calls to my cell, too.
#67903 by autoxer
Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:45 pm
This started about a month ago for us. We also use our cordless base station for VM duties I have it set for 4 rings and the OOMA for 6 rings so it should always default to the Panasonic unit. It does not appear to be caller sensitive as it has happened to almost everyone who has called us recently at least once. Someone posted that the one ring appears to be AFTER the caller has left a msg which may be right as I have noticed a couple times that the VM light was flashing even though I got to the unit within 20 or 30 seconds. It also happens to us about every 5th call, not every one. We are also getting a lot of "clipping" of spoken words and occasional "half-duplex" syndrome where both parties can't talk at the same time.
#69315 by bgbar
Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:06 pm
I found a fix to similar issue. I had Google Voice Extensions (GVE) assigned to my second line. I then bought a Telo Handset and assigned the second line to the Handset. I had to disable GVE in order to assign the second line to Handset. After install when I would call the second line from my cell phone, it would ring once in the cell phone earpiece and apparently go to voicemail without playing the greeting I had set up on the second line / handset. On the handset itself I could see the call ID of my cell phone but the handset would not ring (soft keys had "answer" and "VM"). No matter what I tried I could not get the handset to ring nor my second line greeting to play. I even exchanged the handset for a new one but that didn't fix it anything as it wasn't the issue. One call to Oooma support got me a handset reset to no avail. An email to Ooma support generated a response that I had GVE enabled and it was rolling to GVE voicemail (no greeting setup on that number - it all started to make sense). I told Ooma support that I had to disable GVE in order to assign the second line to the handset and there was no way for me to disable it again as that function was not showing up on the Ooma's "Google Voice" setup webpage. I asked them to disable it in the system if it showed that it was enabled as I had no way to again disable. Ooma support did so along with disabling anonymous call reject for an extra measure. After a reboot of the Telo and Telo handset everything worked as it should. Only took several weeks to figure out!
#69399 by GuMan
Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:36 pm
I have a Hub I got refurbished on Woot and have been using it for the past few weeks. I have a problem similar to the discussion here in that different callers experience different results. My issue seems caller sensitive, unlike previous posters to this topic. I do have some that call and it goes right to voice mail, then rings the phone once and lights up the VM Play indicator.

I have some callers that do not hear (on their end) the phone ringing, but it rings here at the Hub. When the VM time comes, the caller gets the VM prompt and can leave a message.

I have some callers that work just fine. Of the 4 or 5 I have at my access, local AT&T land lines calling in ring the Hub but don't hear a ring in their phones. Verizon wiresless and AT&T wireless seem to work correctly. Verizon wireless from outside the area and TW cable VOIP both seem to go directly to VM.

I have completely disabled all Premier features and only have the VM enabled at 30 seconds. Call forwarding, blocking... are all disabled.

It has been this way since I enabled the system a few weeks ago. I am waiting for this to be straightened out before I port my land line over. I have checked all the network possible causes on my end with no issues showing. Also, I have used the Ooma to make local and out of the area calls for extended periods with no quality issues at all. Any call I make works fine.