Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#14470 by silver
Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:12 am
I have a friend interested in Ooma who has a special telephone that converts voice to text. Anyone have experience with such devices and know if they play nice with Ooma?
#14484 by southsound
Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:57 am
TDD systems typically use either Baudot or ASCII modes with a baud rate of 45.5 to 1200. There really should be no problem using it with ooma, but I would do two things - first off, have your friend bring his/her TDD system to your house and try it. If it works, then you need to know how reliable it is. That's where I would place a call to ooma tech support at 888 711-6662 and ask the question about supporting TDD devices. If the tech is not familiar with the question politely ask them to escalate to a higher level tech. Then make sure you post their answer here for those others who would benefit from the answer.

<<Bobby B or Dennis P -care to chime in here with the official information?>>

I just re-read about the device converting voice to text - so this may not be a typical TDD device. If it is converting voice (audio) then it should work. Again, try the device with your ooma. :cool:
#14491 by silver
Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:43 am
Thanks for the fast response! Your suggestion to try the TDD device on my Ooma is a good one - except my friend is in Florida and I am in Arizona. There is no urgency so perhaps I will just wait until visiting there this Fall. I am not all that familiar with the device either and emailed them for specifics re. exact name, model, etc., just this morning. With that information I may be able to contact the TDD manufacturer & work it from that end.
Thanks again, Bob
#14493 by southsound
Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:51 am
silver wrote:Thanks for the fast response! Your suggestion to try the TDD device on my Ooma is a good one - except my friend is in Florida and I am in Arizona.

This forum has some really great members from all over the country. If you were to post the city where your friend lives in Florida I'll guess another forum member from that city might be willing to let your friend try it on their ooma. No guarantees, but I know I'd be willing if the person lived near me. :cool:

Whoops - where's my manners. Just noticed that your original post was your first, so welcome to the ooma family! I think you're going to like it here. I also contribute to several other forums and by any measure, this one is the best I've ever been a part of.
#14497 by silver
Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:05 am
Thanks for the welcome Southsound! My friends live in Melbourne, FL but I doubt they would be receptive to taking the device to try it at a stranger's house. They are not tech savvy at all and getting along in years so it is just not in their nature - if you know what I mean. We go to Florida frequently so I'll just take my hub along next time and give it a tryout with their TDD.
#102587 by slathouras
Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:51 am
I have a similar question about Ooma and phones for hearing impaired. My father uses a special amplified phone (I think it's called Clarity?) and he has complained that when I call him the sound/conversation is very garbled. This only started when we switched to Ooma. Is there any known concern about compatibility with phones for hearing impaired? Like the other customer, we are in different states, so testing it on my Ooma isn't an option.