Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#14488 by WayneDsr
Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:47 am
I will attempt to duplicate your issue when things settle down here, maybe this evening.

Wayne
#14552 by bw1
Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:33 am
murphy wrote:There is probably a period of time after the hub is shut off until the ooma server realizes that the tunnel is no longer there. I would expect the hub to be checking in with the server on a periodic basis. Until a checkin is missed, the server doesn't know the hub has gone missing. Kill the power to your modem and measure how long before the blue light goes out on the hub. I have seen up to a minute.


It shouldn't matter what state the hub is in, if you have multi-ring enabled it should always multi-ring the second number.

The only thing I can think of is perhaps the cell phone is not always receiving the call because of a weak signal other than a glitch in Ooma's multi-ring capability.
#14569 by robtcody
Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:27 am
I've tried again dialing from an AT&T land line yesterday (Saturday) and it to has the same failing multi-ring result. Today, my ooma's been on all morning and upon calling ooma, my ooma and cell phone both ring in unison (as it always has done). I just now unplugged my ooma and after waiting over 15 minutes, I see the multi-ring problem persists. i.e. I go straight into ooma's VM and my AT&T cell phone never rings. My cell phone hasn't been moved from the first test to the last. The cell signal is strong. But regardless, even if my cell phone were in a poor reception area or powered off, ooma should send the call to my cell phone's VM (so I would think).

I'm thinking my ooma is misconfigured somehow. When I initially activated it on Thursday, I configured the web site for a land line backup and gave it my Vonage phone number. I wasn't offered a new number for my ooma (even though I did NOT elect to port my number over from Vonage to ooma). I've no idea how anyone could call my ooma device without a number being assigned. But whatever.

I did not plug my Vonage line into the ooma for backup. That for some crazy reason prevents the ooma box from working at all; which even tech support couldn't explain why ooma is designed that way.

So I decided I don't want land line backup and the tech spt folks assigned me a new (and my first) ooma number. They also claim they removed the land line backup feature. I'd like to point out thatI as a customer have no configuration control via the lounge after the initial activation so I can only hope the tech spt folks knew what they were doing. BUT, assuming the "Malaysia" tech spt folks messed me up, I ordered a new ooma device from Costco and will try all over again using new hardware (and most importantly, a new MAC address that I suspect is misconfigured).

One thing for sure, ooma needs to state in writing that when the ooma device is powered off (or your network is otherwise down), the multi-line feature will continue to function and therefore that is our circumvention to backup functionality until a full "Network backup number" feature is put into place at ooma.

I say this because tech spt doesn't necessarily agree that multi-line should work during ooma hub connectivity problems. And the reason they say this is because it is not documented anywhere!
#14574 by robtcody
Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:04 am
I just spent another 30+ minutes with Malaysia* tech spt. This time they claim my multi-ring "failure" is working as designed. They said I should change it to "Call forward all" via the lounge page and that will allow my cell phone to ring during ooma hub failures.

So with the tech on the line, I switched my preferences to "Call forward all" and the symptoms changed for the worse.

Now I go to ooma VM immediately regardless if the hub is powered on or not! The tech said this is a new one to him. He documented it for 3rd level support, but he didn't offer a follow up. {ooma IMO is not ready for prime time, and frankly ooma should be paying me to "alpha" test their product}.

Being a patient man, I've ordered a new ooma hub and I suspect all these problems will disappear with a whole new customer config. But god help those with a damaged config as tech spt won't be able to fix it for you!

* btw, my point is not to malign the people of Malaysia, but rather the those top USA exec's that are going for low cost tech spt - when it clearly is not appropriate at this stage of the ooma product development cycle. The ooma exec's need to understand they are loosing customers over THEIR choice of customer support in a CRITICLE stage of their product development. The Malaysia first line of support is fine for common user problems, but this I suspect is a software issue that should be escalated ASAP to the USA (or maybe Chinese?) development team.
#14582 by Bobby B
Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:58 am
Hi Robert,

Sorry about the network availability confusion with this feature. When you have Multi-Ring or Call Forward All calls should continue to be forwarded to your Forwarding Number even if the Hub is down. I don't think this is documented in the help, so I'll add this information there.

The reason the Forwarding features don't work in your case is due to a bug (internal bug #5078). This bug was introduced in July and affects the routing of the call to the forwarding number so that if the Hub is offline OR Call Forward All is turned on, your call will always get sent to voicemail. This is known to affect a smaller subset of customers.

We're working on a fix for the above bug. Also, if all goes well with testing in the next few days, we should also have a true Call Forward on Internet Outage mode within a couple weeks.

-Bobby

robtcody wrote:I have Multi-Ring enabled to my cell phone and it works fine. But when I power down my ooma hub, calls go directly to VM. How can I have calls go to my cell phone when the hub (or internet) is down?
#14686 by robtcody
Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:24 am
Hi Bobby,

Shouldn't (internal bug #5078) have been well publicized to ooma's first line of customer support? I called them three times trying to diagnose this problem and they had no idea of a known bug. The bug resulted in additional costs to ooma as I now must return a second hub I ordered for troubleshoot purposes.

You say that the "Forwarding Number even if the Hub is down" isn't documented, but you will document this into "help". What is "help"? The knowledge base?

How can I be informed of when (internal bug #5078) bug is resolved?
#14704 by Bobby B
Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:30 am
Hi Robert,

robtcody wrote:Shouldn't (internal bug #5078) have been well publicized to ooma's first line of customer support? I called them three times trying to diagnose this problem and they had no idea of a known bug. The bug resulted in additional costs to ooma as I now must return a second hub I ordered for troubleshoot purposes.


Yes, it probably should have been better circulated in customer support. We just turned on a sister support center in the Philippines so I think they're still getting up to speed with case search tools and propagation of knowledge.

robtcody wrote:You say that the "Forwarding Number even if the Hub is down" isn't documented, but you will document this into "help". What is "help"? The knowledge base?


Normally when we refer to help, it's the content that gets popped up when you click the "?" icon on the Preferences->Calling page.

robtcody wrote:How can I be informed of when (internal bug #5078) bug is resolved?


How about I update this thread? You can hit the "subscribe" button on this thread to be informed when there's an update. We'll also probably announce call forward on Internet outage to the newsletter list only when this bug gets fixed. You can sign up for the newsletter at: https://www.ooma.com/contact/
#15219 by robtcody
Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:27 am
Hi Bobby,

I must say I am very impressed with your three responses. You are frank, honest, and answered each one to my utmost satisfaction.

Hopefully Ooma will resolve the problem soon. I don’t want to port my Vonage number over to ooma until this problem is resolved. That’s because I power off my network each night and depend on multi-ring to cell phone.

Thanks!
#16011 by ooma-fan
Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:40 am
Bobby B wrote:Hi Robert,

Sorry about the network availability confusion with this feature. When you have Multi-Ring or Call Forward All calls should continue to be forwarded to your Forwarding Number even if the Hub is down. I don't think this is documented in the help, so I'll add this information there.

The reason the Forwarding features don't work in your case is due to a bug (internal bug #5078). This bug was introduced in July and affects the routing of the call to the forwarding number so that if the Hub is offline OR Call Forward All is turned on, your call will always get sent to voicemail. This is known to affect a smaller subset of customers.

We're working on a fix for the above bug. Also, if all goes well with testing in the next few days, we should also have a true Call Forward on Internet Outage mode within a couple weeks.

-Bobby

robtcody wrote:I have Multi-Ring enabled to my cell phone and it works fine. But when I power down my ooma hub, calls go directly to VM. How can I have calls go to my cell phone when the hub (or internet) is down?



I have the same problem here, Bobby. When my ooma hub/internet connection is down, neither Multi-ring nor Call Forward All calls work.
#17223 by Bobby B
Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:37 am
FYI -- bug 5078 that I previously mentioned on this thread should be fixed. "Call Forward All" should be working properly and your calls should be forwarded if you have a Call Forwarding/Multi-Ring enabled AND your Hub is down.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Cybernaut and 6 guests