Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#14445 by robtcody
Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:07 am
I have Multi-Ring enabled to my cell phone and it works fine. But when I power down my ooma hub, calls go directly to VM. How can I have calls go to my cell phone when the hub (or internet) is down?

Vonage has this feature. They call it "Network Availability Number". With Vonage, I power down my network every night so as to save on the power to run my modem, switch, hub, etc. But with ooma, it seems I'll have to leave these things on all night long!?!
#14447 by niknak
Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:09 am
As of now this feature is not available from ooma
There has been mention here that it may be included in a future upgrade
#14448 by WayneDsr
Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:11 am
I don't understand. If I power down my network ooma multi-ring still works. Why not his?

Wayne
#14452 by niknak
Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:15 am
Wayne, you are right, this is another way to accomplish it.
I was thinking about the way Vonage does it where you specify the number that rings if the network is down
#14468 by robtcody
Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:07 am
Thanks Wayne. I tried it again. I powered off the hub, and within a few seconds I dailed ooma. My call did multi-ring directly to my cell phone (like you said it should, and does for you). I then tried it a several more times, but it went right to ooma VM with no multi-ring. It looks like the multi-ring works only about 1 out of 10 attempts when the hub is down. Multi-ring works all the time when the hub is active.

Bob.
#14469 by WayneDsr
Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:10 am
Yeah, I agree there eventually needs to be a forward to cell phone when the ooma network is down, which we currently do not have, but the OP mentioned that multi ring didn't work, when HIS network was down, which sounds odd to me.

Wayne

EDIT: That's odd robtcody, not sure what to say about that except to call Customer Service and ask them.
#14481 by robtcody
Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:39 am
Well, I didn't exactly say "when my network is down", just when my ooma hub is powered off. My network is still up (as I need it to dial ooma via Vonage which is on the same switch and cable modem). Maybe multi-ring only works when my cable modem (and therefore IP address) are lost?

I called customer support, and they tried it and it worked. Although it is not a published feature, multi-ring should work when the hub is down.

So, all I can say is it doesn't work for me - but my test may be flawed because when ooma called my (powred off) hub, it did multi-ring to my cell.
#14482 by WayneDsr
Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:46 am
Right, that's what I meant. If your hub OR entire network is down, it should not prevent multi-ring. So I'm going to say ooma may have had a glitch going on. Let us know if this continues. Thanks.

Wayne
#14483 by murphy
Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:54 am
There is probably a period of time after the hub is shut off until the ooma server realizes that the tunnel is no longer there. I would expect the hub to be checking in with the server on a periodic basis. Until a checkin is missed, the server doesn't know the hub has gone missing. Kill the power to your modem and measure how long before the blue light goes out on the hub. I have seen up to a minute.
#14487 by robtcody
Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:23 am
Yes, the problem continues. The hub has been off for 40 mintues or so. My bother just called the hub from his cell phone and it went right to VM. He then called my cell phone directly and told me he left a message. So far, all but one of my attempts have failed. Ooma tech support tried just once and it worked!

btw, I don't have any of the call blocking features enabled.