Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#14408 by treeves
Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:00 pm
I just had my phone number ported over. I would like to use the call forwarding feature Ooma has, but it doesn't work for me. When I set it to "Call Forwarding" with my cell number, all calls automatically go to my Ooma voice mail.

However, when I set it to Multi-ring, it does work, but the Ooma hub lights up and the phone attached to the hub rings.

Now, there is another major annoyance that I hope can be addressed quickly. I use a live messaging service when I am unavailable, so I would like to forward the calls on my line to them. However, when they do, they get the "Press 1 to accept this call, or hang up to go to Ooma voice mail." The messaging service doesn't like that, and would like to just answer the phone with the calling party on the other line....

I could do without the Ooma voicemail (and the Press 1 option) because if i can get call forwarding to work, then they can go to my cell phone voice mail (which is preferable over Ooma voice mail). Plus, if I forward to my live messaging servicing service, then they can pick up the phone normally.

Can I shut off the Ooma voice mail, and if so, will it delete the annoying "press 1" prompt?
#14414 by bw1
Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:40 pm
treeves wrote:I just had my phone number ported over. I would like to use the call forwarding feature Ooma has, but it doesn't work for me. When I set it to "Call Forwarding" with my cell number, all calls automatically go to my Ooma voice mail.

However, when I set it to Multi-ring, it does work, but the Ooma hub lights up and the phone attached to the hub rings.

How long has it been since the number ported? If it's less than 24 hours, it may still clear up.
In any case, you can unplug the Ooma hub, wait 60 seconds and plug it back in while pressing down on the "blue" tab. This will reset the hub to factory defaults and hopefully update your settings, so call forwarding will work.
Otherwise you can call support, they're open on the weekends.

treeves wrote:Now, there is another major annoyance that I hope can be addressed quickly. I use a live messaging service when I am unavailable, so I would like to forward the calls on my line to them. However, when they do, they get the "Press 1 to accept this call, or hang up to go to Ooma voice mail." The messaging service doesn't like that, and would like to just answer the phone with the calling party on the other line....

I could do without the Ooma voicemail (and the Press 1 option) because if i can get call forwarding to work, then they can go to my cell phone voice mail (which is preferable over Ooma voice mail). Plus, if I forward to my live messaging servicing service, then they can pick up the phone normally.

Can I shut off the Ooma voice mail, and if so, will it delete the annoying "press 1" prompt?

You can not disable voicemail or the "press 1" prompt. That capability may be coming in the future.
#14533 by treeves
Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:41 pm
The number has been ported for four days.

It's a shame that voice mail or "press 1" can't be disabled. This means that my live messaging service which I pay $199 per month won't receive any calls. Tha't really bad because I need a live person taking the call- whether it's me or the answering service.
#14595 by blackpippi
Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:39 pm
I've had my Ooma since Febraury, but I am just now testing this feature. I am having the exact same problem. Call forwarding goes directly to Ooma voicemail while multiring rings my home Ooma number and my cell phone. I want just my cell phone to ring.

I just read a post from an Ooma Moderator posted today. Seems this is a new bug affecting some customers (me) and they are working on it.
Last edited by blackpippi on Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#15463 by treeves
Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:44 pm
Yes, that is what tech support said as well.

The one issue that is a major issue is the frustrating "Press 1 to accept" prompt when a call is forwarded. I use a live messaging service when I am unavailable (gotta keep that excellent customer service going!).

The problem is that the live messaging service will sometimes have an automated attendant answer if it is during peak times with no more than a 10 second hold. By the time a live person answers, the call is already in Ooma voice mail- and I get charged for the call!

I just wished Ooma had a "Press 1" disable option in the lounge so that i can provide excellent customer service again.