Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#14235 by Kevin1844
Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:37 am
Hi-
I have two lines I would like to port to ooma. I would like to keep one line active as a lifeline mostly for my alarm and DSL. Is it possible to get Verizon to NOT cancel my service automatically when the number is ported? Can I get them to just change to a new number once the old one is gone?

Any ideas what my options are? ooma support says they won't do it but I never say never. :)
#14240 by Aveamantium
Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:56 am
Kevin1844 wrote:Hi-
I have two lines I would like to port to ooma. I would like to keep one line active as a lifeline mostly for my alarm and DSL. Is it possible to get Verizon to NOT cancel my service automatically when the number is ported? Can I get them to just change to a new number once the old one is gone?

Any ideas what my options are? ooma support says they won't do it but I never say never. :)

How about you don't port the number and just have Verizon forward the calls to the ooma number? Or you can port one number (for the scout) and use the integrated land line feature.
#14241 by scottlindner
Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:03 am
You can, but you need to get a new DSL account first. So I guess to answer your question the way you asked it, "No" you must cancel your current DSL service if you want to port your number. However, it is only a PPP username and password change on your end, so it isn't really a big deal to have them create the new DSL account for you before porting.

The phone company sees your telephone line and DSL as the same thing. When I made the switch I got a new number for DSL and there is no landline associated with it. It's just the way telco's work.

Scott
#14244 by bw1
Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:09 am
But he still wants to have a landline for the alarm and backup. My guess is that you would have to dry loop the DSL, port the number and then call them back to get another landline number.

Have you tried calling and asking Verizon what your options are?
#14246 by scottlindner
Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:19 am
If you still want a landline for the alarm, and also want DSL. It sounds like you want to have Verison set you up with a new phone line and a new DSL service. Once that is set up, then port you previous number which will terminate your existing phone line. Have them do both on the same day, and the only thing you'll have to deal with is changing the PPP username and password on your DSL modem. The rest should be exactly what you want.

Right?

Scott
#14296 by Kevin1844
Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:53 pm
Thanks, everyone. I think what I should do is port one of my numbers (The one without DSL) then have Verizon add back in the second line and move the DSL to that line then port the other number over.

I wonder if they'll charge me stupid activation fees. I'd call them but its after 6pm (nice customer service...) and they're closed.

I'll call tomorrow. Thanks everyone!
#14326 by scottlindner
Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:20 am
Kevin1844 wrote:I wonder if they'll charge me stupid activation fees. I'd call them but its after 6pm (nice customer service...) and they're closed.

I had the same concern when I went through this with QWest. Since all I did was move accounts around but maintained the same service they didn't charge me any fees. I was even under contract so there was the possibility for it to happen. Make sure you ask about this when talking to them, and make sure they note it down in your account notes so the next person knows that this whole thing was done with the understanding that you wouldn't be charged fees.

You may need to call multiple times until you get someone that understands what it is that you want.

Scott