Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#14037 by southsound
Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:18 pm
Since the corded phone is part of the cordless combination, you may still have problems as long as it is connected. Especially if it is an incoming call and the base tries to reach the handset. Best to try with a standard corded phone - maybe borrow one from a neighbor for the test if you don't have one.
#14039 by iserum
Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:34 pm
i have major problems with ooma before router, it brought my internet speed to 300k from 7mpbs, yes it does not make any sense, after moving ooma after router this problem is resolved. Voice quality is better, i am evaluating ooma before i disconnect my other service. So far it is good.
#14047 by atici
Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:26 pm
iserum wrote: yes it does not make any sense, after moving ooma after router this problem is resolved.

It makes total sense to me. Because the router manages throttling/quality of service and therefore your internet bandwidth is better managed. Ooma doesn't do a great job with that, and this was widely discussed in the forums.

Once set up properly ooma works great. You can't expect it to just run with no setup. Everyone has a different system/router/phone configuration. You'll need to attempt to understand the technicalities a bit and people have been trying to help you.
#14048 by arec
Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:36 pm
So this is interesting...

My husband is going out for the dect 6 phone tonight. He hasn't got it yet. And suddenly tonight I am not having the problem anymore. I was on the internet and phone all night long with no problems. I haven't made any changes to the ooma setup (mostly b/c I just don't know how to. I tried to do what atici suggested about modem-router-ooma but I must have done something wrong because then I got no internet at all, phone or no phone, so I had to put it back to the way it was)

Anyway I will keep you posted on whether the issue comes back, or if it helps when we get the new phone...

Thanks again for all the help!
#14049 by niknak
Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:03 pm
...I was on the internet and phone all night long with no problems...

Remember when using cable as your ISP that there can be up to 254 other users in your neighborhood all competing for a finite amount of available bandwidth. Based on the usage of your neighbors your VOIP performance could vary greatly due to limited bandwidth during peak times of the day.
#14053 by arec
Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:12 pm
your VOIP performance could vary greatly due to limited bandwidth during peak times of the day

if this is the case, is there anything I can do to improve it? would the dect 6 phone still help?

thanks
#14054 by niknak
Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:19 pm
arec wrote:
your VOIP performance could vary greatly due to limited bandwidth during peak times of the day

if this is the case, is there anything I can do to improve it? would the dect 6 phone still help?

thanks

If your problem is indeed due to loss of bandwidth due to sharing in your neighborhood, you'd need to

1. purchase more bandwidth (if possible) from the Cable ISP

2. change isp to FIOS or DSL

3. adjust network components to optimze call QOS

Note: many factors influence VOIP performance. you may run speed tests from here:

http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html

and post the results from the "advanced tab"

If you experience varying speeds/call quality, run the tests at different times of the day to see if some times are busier than others - typically network usage is heaviest between 3PM and 6PM and 7PM to 9PM
#14061 by atici
Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:24 pm
arec wrote:if this is the case, is there anything I can do to improve it? would the dect 6 phone still help?

you can test if the issue is absolutely due to the channel interference by just using a wired internet or wired phone. After that buy the dect phone?

Your 2.4GHz phone may sometimes work still. Because there are a range of frequencies those devices operate on. If your wireless router and your phone happen to randomly pick a different slot around the 2.4Ghz then they will work fine. Just like multiple wireless hubs working fine together because they know what slots of frequencies are occupied. The problem occurs when the phone and hub clash in the same frequency zone.
#14062 by southsound
Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:27 pm
arec wrote:So this is interesting...

My husband is going out for the dect 6 phone tonight. He hasn't got it yet. And suddenly tonight I am not having the problem anymore. I was on the internet and phone all night long with no problems. I haven't made any changes to the ooma setup (mostly b/c I just don't know how to. I tried to do what atici suggested about modem-router-ooma but I must have done something wrong because then I got no internet at all, phone or no phone, so I had to put it back to the way it was)

Anyway I will keep you posted on whether the issue comes back, or if it helps when we get the new phone...

Thanks again for all the help!

The reason that you are not having problems tonight is probably because your cordless phone switched channels and the one it is using tonight is not as conflicting as the one that was shutting things down. I don't think you need to move your hub or do any settings yet as I am pretty sure the change in phones to the new DECT 6.0 model will cure the problem. Then you can tweak the settings only if performance is lacking. I think you'll enjoy the features on the new phone. Most are able to copy address books from phone to phone, allow multiple handsets to be online with the same call, and offer speakerphone usage.
#15815 by arec
Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:26 pm
Well I just wanted to thank everyone for helping and give an update. We got the dect 6 phones and all seems well! no problems so far.
Thank you again, I would never have known that all I needed to do was get new phones!