Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#741 by skinner2909
Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:06 pm
Is it possible to use Ooma with a broadband WiFi connection? A Wifi antenna is my only means of internet access. The bandwidth is more than sufficient (3Mbps up/11Mbps down), but the audio transmission is choppy and disconnects after about 20-30 seconds. I assume this is from packet loss from the WiFi connection. Anyway, is there any type of work around I could use? I'm hoping there's a way to compromise some of the bandwidth for a steady and reliable packet transmission. Any help is greatly appreciated.
#747 by trim81
Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:57 pm
skinner2909 wrote:Is it possible to use Ooma with a broadband WiFi connection? A Wifi antenna is my only means of internet access. The bandwidth is more than sufficient (3Mbps up/11Mbps down), but the audio transmission is choppy and disconnects after about 20-30 seconds. I assume this is from packet loss from the WiFi connection. Anyway, is there any type of work around I could use? I'm hoping there's a way to compromise some of the bandwidth for a steady and reliable packet transmission. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Its a very tough call, due to packet loss on the wireless network...

If you find a solution, I would be happy to hear it.

Is there any way you can get a hard wire to the ooma?

* YOU COULD try a hawking HBB1 or equivalent (Linksys Network Optimizer), but I won't rely on it much, being that it is supposed to go before the router (and right behind the modem)
#750 by Dennis P
Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:04 pm
Jitter (random delay) and packet loss are big problems that Wi-Fi introduces to anything truly real-time. We already use a low-bandwidth codec that has built-in error correction to compensate for packet loss. If you are still getting audio cut-out, there's very little more that we can do to improve the call quality. I assume you have tested with no other traffic on the link. If there is traffic, you can try tweaking the QoS bandwidth that we shape upstream traffic to. Can you also go to http://www.testyourvoip.com, select San Jose and take a screen shot of your results?
#142166 by michel
Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:10 pm
i think i am one hight band codec....can someone tell me if i am or not ? my sound reception make bleep bleep.

Michel
#142169 by TonyW
Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:31 am
If you open setup.ooma.com (or the IP of the Telo if behind a router) in a browser & select the Status tab, 'High Bandwidth Codec - ON' will be reported.