Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#12667 by Groundhound
Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:30 am
bc3tech wrote: I'll be plugging my DVR in to a Scout tonight, will update on what happens.

My expectation is that with the scout delivering the dial tone, inbound caller ID will work (perhaps needing the red button reset mentioned earlier), but outbound calls from the HR22 may still be a problem. Outbound calls will likely be more successful if you can deliver the dial tone from the hub's phone port instead of a scout.
#12668 by bc3tech
Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:40 am
Groundhound wrote:
bc3tech wrote: I'll be plugging my DVR in to a Scout tonight, will update on what happens.

My expectation is that with the scout delivering the dial tone, inbound caller ID will work (perhaps needing the red button reset mentioned earlier), but outbound calls from the HR22 may still be a problem. Outbound calls will likely be more successful if you can deliver the dial tone from the hub's phone port instead of a scout.

yeah i'll try that as well. my plan is to use a splitter to go to my current cordless, and to the wall jack. then have my DVR pick up from the wall jack.
#12669 by Aveamantium
Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:42 am
Not to de-rail this thread entirely but I was wondering if there might be a way to set up the scout to not use HPNA and just be an extension of the "wall" port by sending a standard dial tone. I'm thinking that the HPNA is the cause of several problems (including my problem with the call quality on the scout having static as opposed to the clarity of the Hub – documented well in the call quality slider thread). I know this would require the wall port to have its own dedicated copper pair but it would be nice if this was an option as many don't have any other information traveling on the pair carrying the scout data.

Not sure if this is even possible or not (hardware issue or can this be a software update)? Just thinking out loud here…
#12691 by bw1
Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:37 am
Groundhound wrote:The diagram in question is at the bottom of page 38, and shows a DVR and a Scout connected to the same wall jack via a "standard duplex splitter". This diagram is indeed an error.
Edit: If the splitter was a line1-line2 splitter, it could still function as depicted in the diagram.


bc3tech wrote:
Groundhound wrote:Yes. Line1 would receive dial tone from the phone port on the hub, while line2 would carry HPNA from the wall port on the hub to the wall port on the scout. The DVR in this case would be connected to line1.

yeah - so would be nice to get an Ooma rep in here to recognize the error on their diagram and hopefully update to save future users the same confusion. I'll be plugging my DVR in to a Scout tonight, will update on what happens.


I still don't think there is any error in the diagram or words that describe hooking up a DVR or alarm system. If you want those to function correctly with no issues, you need to keep and hook them up through a landline (as in PSTN, POTS supplied by AT&T, Verizon or Quest). That is ooma's foolproof solution. Many here have found ways to work around any issues that arise and allow these devices to work through ooma including getting dial tone to all the jacks in your house and thereby not needing the scout to use other phones.

Many are here on the forum helping others work through any issues they have with their setups.

By the way, here is another topic about getting your DVR working, which you should know about since you replied to it:
http://forums.ooma.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1260&hilit=DirecTV
#12697 by southsound
Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:47 pm
Aveamantium wrote:Hay Southsand, I'm still waiting for my "Welcome to ooma"!! ;)

My bad. I think your first post was when I was on vacation and not doing much with the forum. So a warm and fuzzy "Welcome to ooma" from the resident raccoon. And thanks for many thoughtful posts that add to the value of the forum. :)
#12698 by Aveamantium
Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:51 pm
southsound wrote:
Aveamantium wrote:Hay Southsand, I'm still waiting for my "Welcome to ooma"!! ;)

And thanks for many thoughtful posts that add to the value of the forum. :)


Glad to be part of the group!
#12721 by bc3tech
Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:29 pm
bc3tech wrote:
Groundhound wrote:
bc3tech wrote: I'll be plugging my DVR in to a Scout tonight, will update on what happens.

My expectation is that with the scout delivering the dial tone, inbound caller ID will work (perhaps needing the red button reset mentioned earlier), but outbound calls from the HR22 may still be a problem. Outbound calls will likely be more successful if you can deliver the dial tone from the hub's phone port instead of a scout.

yeah i'll try that as well. my plan is to use a splitter to go to my current cordless, and to the wall jack. then have my DVR pick up from the wall jack.

this didn't work. the second i "backfed" my ooma into the home wiring, my DSL connection went down. At this point I'm not too comfortable in changing my home wiring, so I'm off to grab my Scout and use it to get my caller id.

would still like to see ooma update their manual so future users aren't confused
#13731 by bw1
Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:09 am
bc3tech wrote:Since a scout is essentially required in this application, it means that the next-gen Telo that should be coming out in the next couple of months will essentially take Caller ID on your TV off the table:

viewtopic.php?p=13723#p13723


Groundhound has it working on his hub, so there's no reason that I can think of that it wouldn't work on the Telo if connected the same way.

Groundhound wrote:Caller ID
I have a DirecTv HR22 connected to the line1 circuit in my house, which in turn is fed from the phone port on my hub. The only reason I have it connected at all is for the caller ID feature of the HR22. If you do a bit of searching regarding this feature and the HR22, you will find that it is a common problem regardless of the phone company. Occasionally the HR22 stops displaying caller ID and the only fix is a red button reset, after which it begins to work again. I found this to be true before and after ooma. So if your HR22 is connected to your hub's phone port, a reset of the HR22 may be all that's needed.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 11 guests