Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#12564 by zr2ee
Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:14 am
for some reason our ooma hub is making every phone in the house go dead when its attached, its currently piggybacked with our qwest service. when we disconnect the box our qwest line works fine,

we recently had a qwest service technician come out to do some work on the box out back because their service wasn't working either. not sure how that would cause the issue but they charge $80 for a service and if their line is working fine i'm pretty sure it would be a waist to call them.

anyone see this before or have any idea's? i've had a ooma service tech run some remote diagnostics on the box and everything seems normal from what they told me
#12566 by southsound
Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:26 am
Let's talk about your configuration so I can understand what might be going on. Do you have DSL? Does your Internet work when ooma is connected - in other words, does ooma kill the phones and the Internet? When you say "piggybacked with our Qwest service" can you explain what you mean? What kind of phone do you have plugged into the "phone" jack of the ooma hub? Corded, 2.4ghz cordless, or ??? Do you have anything plugged into the "wall" jack of the ooma hub? Where is the ooma hub in your system -
1. modem<>hub<>computer or router
or
2. modem<>router<>hub

The more we know the more we can help.
#12567 by zr2ee
Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:52 am
sorry that probably would have helped

our ISP is comcast cable, no DSL is involved

Our primary phone line is (piggybacked) with our qwest line, we added ooma to our qwest phone number to test it before porting over completely. we have a panasonic cordless phone system like this one http://www.electronicexpress.com/product?prod_id=15075

currently the hub is connected like this

ooma hub>router>modem

originally when setup the system worked fine, but now with the ooma box connected all of the phones in the house go dead no matter if their connected to ooma or not, try calling the line and it goes straight to voicemail. without the box every line is fine, i've tried several different jacks and phones. according to the ooma service rep the ooma box does not recognize a phone line connected, but when the box is told to ignore the phone line it shows as normal. my 2nd line trial has run out and im thinking of trying the $99 to test the ooma second line and see if it works or the phone jacks still short out. just want to make sure this is going to work before porting
#12569 by southsound
Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:52 pm
I thought I'd post my questions again.

southsound wrote:Does your Internet work when ooma is connected - in other words, does ooma kill the phones and the Internet? When you say "piggybacked with our Qwest service" can you explain what you mean? What kind of phone do you have plugged into the "phone" jack of the ooma hub? Corded, the cordless base station, or ??? Do you have anything plugged into the "wall" jack of the ooma hub?
The more we know the more we can help.

I know you talked about your cordless phone but it sounds like you have connected your home wiring to the ooma in some way because you mentioned "all the phones". Can you please describe how? Did you have ooma "integrate" your landline? Also what do you mean by "see if it works or the phone jacks still short out???" Are you using a scout and if so, how?
#12571 by scottlindner
Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:36 pm
Are you connecting all phones to the Hub and Scout Phone port, or are you connecting some phones to the home's phone wiring?

I ask because the HPNA over the home's phone wiring may be causing your phones some troubles. If you can, at least for a test, disconnect all phones from the wall jackets in your home and only connect phones to the Hub and Scout Phone port. Let us know what happens.

Scott
#12573 by zr2ee
Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:47 pm
the ooma hub does not cause any issues with our internet service, only the phone lines in the house, yes it is integrated with our qwest service, (so we have one phone number through qwest and ooma integrated to use that same phone number)

we had both the ooma hub and scout hooked up, with several other phones not attached to ooma boxes, when the ooma hub was connected to the wall through the "wall" port none of the phones inside the house would recieve dial tone, and anyone calling in would be sent straight to voicemail, none of the phones would ring (including the ones not attached to ooma boxes) i disconnected the scout to test the hub only and the results were the same. it caused the ooma hub to show diagnositic codes with (1&2 lit and play and forward lit) ooma service rep said the box showed it didn't recognize a phone line attached, when he set the box to ignore the phone line and gave it a new number it booted as normal

I ask because the HPNA over the home's phone wiring may be causing your phones some troubles. If you can, at least for a test, disconnect all phones from the wall jackets in your home and only connect phones to the Hub and Scout Phone port. Let us know what happens.

i'll have to try this but our home wiring shouldn't be using a HPNA networking setup (just googled it) as there is no need for one. our internet comes through cable. i don't know much about home phone wiring unfortunately but this issue arose after the qwest service technician worked on the house phone junction. my biggest issue would be if i ported to ooma and couldnt use any scouts cause the home wiring would cause the ooma boxes to fault
#12575 by southsound
Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:08 pm
OK, I think I have the picture now. In answer to your question about HPNA - it is how the scout talks to the hub. Even if your Internet connection is wired, the hub and scout always communicate the same way. The HPNA signal is carried from the hub wall connection to the scout wall connection. The scout phone connection is for voice - either a cordless or corded phone.

I think what is happening is you are trying to backfeed the voice signal from the hub's phone connection to the rest of the house. This is possible if there is no other signal on your home wiring, but if you still have a landline that you are integrating, your wiring is not free for this type of connection.

Here is what you can do. Check to see how the hub works with just a phone plugged into the phone jack and your landline in the wall jack. Do not use the scout at this point. Do not use any splitters. This should give you dialtone on the phone and the ability to dial out. If you have the ooma connection tone enabled in the lounge, dial a long distance number and you should hear the ooma tone as the call connects. If you dial a local number, it should work fine but without the connection tone.

Now use a cell phone to call your landline number. It should ring on the ooma hub connected phone.

Let us know your results and we'll give you more things to try.
#13348 by zr2ee
Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:50 pm
sorry its been so long, things have been a little crazy lately,

as for the ooma troubleshooting i started from square one with the scout disconnected to eliminate as many possibilities as i could. as long as the hub is connected to the wall and has power all the rest of the phone outlets in the house are dead and no one can call in, calls go straight to voice mail

when i talked to tech support and he tried telling the hub to ignore the phone line and gave it a different number it the hub was happy (probably mentioned this already)

knowing this i should be ok to port the number as long as i dont attach the hub to the wall phone jack i would assume, does the hub need to be hooked up to complete the porting process?
#13379 by scottlindner
Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:50 am
zr2ee wrote:does the hub need to be hooked up to complete the porting process?

No. Porting is between your current telco provider and Ooma. Your hub isn't involved until someone dials the number.

Scott