Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#12295 by sienz
Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:45 am
I just have the Ooma installed and it works greats. I have couple issues with my Ooma system.
1. I am unable to disable the Ooma Connection Tone.
Preferences>system>Call Setting.
I have tried to change it to disable but I am still getting the Ooma Connection Tone. I have waited more than 3 minutes and reboot my Ooma hub. I laos have tried to change the Tone to a different tone but I am still getting the classic tone.
2. The Ooma system does not recognize touch-tone
Basically, I have an alarm system and my alarm will call my cell when it is set off and from my cell I will be able to push number 2 (Touch Tone) and the alarm will stop. The Ooma system is able to call my cell from my alarm system but when I push # 2 or any number to stop the alarm, it seems that the Ooma does not recognize the touch tone.

Any input or help is appreciated. Thanks
#12297 by WayneDsr
Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:58 am
I'll answer the 2nd question first.

Ooma filters incoming tones, so no, they will not work.

On the first question I want to make sure we are talking about the connection tone, the one you hear when your caller answers the phone and not the ooma dial tone.

The connection tone can be turned off in the lounge. Make sure you are using Internet Explorer (just to be sure).

Wayne
#12302 by sienz
Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:40 am
Thank you Wayne,

Yes, It is located at Preferences>system>Call Setting.

Let me try it again at home to make sure that I am using IE. The current setting in my ooma lounge is Disabled. (but I am still getting The ooma connection tone)

Also, what is "10 Digit Dialing" ?

Enable 10 Digit Dialing
Dial US phone numbers without having to enter a "1" before the number. Note: This increases the delay when placing 7 digits calls. Press # after dialing to eliminate the delay. (default: enabled)

I am currently dialing 7-digit for my local phone number and 11-digit for LD. What happen when I disable the 10 digit dialing? for my local and LD calls dialing?
#12303 by bw1
Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:51 am
Enable 10 Digit Dialing
Dial US phone numbers without having to enter a "1" before the number. Note: This increases the delay when placing 7 digits calls. Press # after dialing to eliminate the delay. (default: enabled)

If you have it enabled now and you disable it, then you won't be able to make calls by dialing 7 digits. You can still make calls using 11 digits with it enabled or disabled.

Most people want it enabled to be able to dial using only 10 digits since most cordless phones these days store phone numbers in a directory and store only 10 digits.
#12305 by bw1
Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:59 am
bw1 wrote:Enable 10 Digit Dialing

If you have it enabled now and you disable it, then you won't be able to make calls by dialing 7 digits. You can still make calls using 11 digits with it enabled or disabled.

Most people want it enabled to be able to dial using only 10 digits since most cordless phones these days store phone numbers in a directory and store only 10 digits.

Ok, I just tested without it enabled and I'm still able to make 7 digit calls, but there is still a 6 or 7 second delay.
#12311 by sienz
Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:34 am
To confirm it:

So Enabled/Disabled, I would still be able to make 7 digit dialing but there will be a delay.

If I disable it, I will be able to make 10 digit dialing with less/no delay in any number in the US.

I will do more testing tonight to see if i can make 7/10/11 digit dialing in disabled and enabled status and see what is best for my situation. It seems that we can make 7/10/11 digit dialing regardless if it is enabled/disabled
#12312 by southsound
Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:41 am
With 10-digit dialing enabled you can call any US number by dialing the area code + the 7 digit number. You can also call local numbers by dialing just the 7 digits - but the system will wait a few seconds for the additional digits before it realizes that you are calling using only 7 digits. To shorten the delay, just dial a # after the 7th digit and it will connect immediately.

With 10-digit dialing disabled you can call local numbers using just 7 digits with no delay or call non-local ones using 11 digits.

I have it disabled myself as it mimics the dialing of my existing non-integrated landline as it's hard to teach an old raccoon new tricks. ;)
#12316 by sienz
Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:57 am
southsound wrote:With 10-digit dialing enabled you can call any US number by dialing the area code + the 7 digit number. You can also call local numbers by dialing just the 7 digits - but the system will wait a few seconds for the additional digits before it realizes that you are calling using only 7 digits. To shorten the delay, just dial a # after the 7th digit and it will connect immediately.

With 10-digit dialing disabled you can call local numbers using just 7 digits with no delay or call non-local ones using 11 digits.

I have it disabled myself as it mimics the dialing of my existing non-integrated landline as it's hard to teach an old raccoon new tricks. ;)

Sounds good, I will disable it. As I dialed 7 digit locally and 11 digit for LD in my old phone.

Thank you very much for the explanation.
#12319 by southsound
Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:26 am
scottlindner wrote:What is the advantage of 10 digit dialing?

Some of the larger metro areas have several area codes and already require 10 digit dialing for normal landlines. Even a call next door can require 10 digits in these areas. Since every call requires 10 digits, you don't have to dial the "1" before dialing the other digits. I guess the only advantage IMHO to having it in ooma is for those areas who already require the 10 digit dialing. It mimics their existing landlines.

I guess another future advantage is if we ever have a way to syncronize our cell phone contact list with ooma since most cell phones store their address book in 10 digit format.