Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#12125 by scottlindner
Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:30 am
When I have another incoming call I get a very unusual chirp that sounds like for an instant like the typical call waiting sound but then it is a quick three tone, high to low pitch, digital compression glitch type of sound. Is this normal to sound like this?

Today was only the second time I have been in a call waiting situation so I didn't really notice a pattern until today being the second time.

Cheers,
Scott
#12127 by Aveamantium
Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:35 am
Actually my old ATA (Linksys PAP2T) did the same noise for call waiting as ooma is. Or at least my cordless phones are interpreting the tone the same way?
#12136 by scottlindner
Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:42 pm
Are you saying this is normal for Ooma, or that you only had it with your old ATA but you do not get this funny sound with Ooma?

Scott
#12138 by Aveamantium
Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:48 pm
Not sure if it is normal or not (to me it sounds like a chirp and then a computer dialing something)? But I can say it is the same with ooma as it was with the old ATA.
#12140 by scottlindner
Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:26 pm
Aveamantium wrote:Not sure if it is normal or not (to me it sounds like a chirp and then a computer dialing something)? But I can say it is the same with ooma as it was with the old ATA.


Gotcha, but different than a regular landline, right?

Scott
#12143 by Aveamantium
Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:08 pm
I've never had call waiting on a land line so I'm not sure what that sounds like?? Been using VoIP for the last three years and just had a bare bones POTS line before that. Good question though!
#12153 by but2002
Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:22 pm
That chirp is actually normal. It's when the ooma (Or ANY other telephone line, like VoIP or POTS) sends the caller ID information for the second caller, which is indeed digital information.
#12154 by scottlindner
Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:47 am
but2002 wrote:That chirp is actually normal. It's when the ooma (Or ANY other telephone line, like VoIP or POTS) sends the caller ID information for the second caller, which is indeed digital information.


We've never heard it on our landline and we did have caller ID.
#12155 by but2002
Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:09 am
scottlindner wrote:
but2002 wrote:That chirp is actually normal. It's when the ooma (Or ANY other telephone line, like VoIP or POTS) sends the caller ID information for the second caller, which is indeed digital information.


We've never heard it on our landline and we did have caller ID.

I've always heard it back when we had POTS service with AT&T. Now that I think about it, my friend has COX telephone, and they don't hear the chirp when they get a call waiting, and the caller ID does send. I'm thinking it's just relative to how they send the data.
#12156 by scottlindner
Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:16 am
but2002 wrote:
scottlindner wrote:
but2002 wrote:That chirp is actually normal. It's when the ooma (Or ANY other telephone line, like VoIP or POTS) sends the caller ID information for the second caller, which is indeed digital information.


We've never heard it on our landline and we did have caller ID.

I've always heard it back when we had POTS service with AT&T. Now that I think about it, my friend has COX telephone, and they don't hear the chirp when they get a call waiting, and the caller ID does send. I'm thinking it's just relative to how they send the data.


I can deal with that. It sounds like an error in the transmission.

Scott

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 36 guests