Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#12085 by but2002
Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:42 pm
Is there a number I can call that will tell me my own caller ID? Name and number?
#12089 by scottlindner
Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:31 am
but2002 wrote:Is there a number I can call that will tell me my own caller ID? Name and number?

Call your cell phone and see what it says? Call your parents and ask them? I'm sure they'd appreciate the call. I know it isn't what you are asking for, but it's probably the most pragmatic solution.

Scott
#12090 by but2002
Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:37 am
scottlindner wrote:
but2002 wrote:Is there a number I can call that will tell me my own caller ID? Name and number?

Call your cell phone and see what it says? Call your parents and ask them? I'm sure they'd appreciate the call. I know it isn't what you are asking for, but it's probably the most pragmatic solution.

Scott

I have yet to see a cell phone that would return the name, as well as the number. (Unless the name is already programmed into the phone) As for calling my parents, that doesn't work to tell, as I live with mother, so that doesn't work well either. And, none of my local friends has a landline I could call to test, they all have cell phones (As stated above, I want to test the NAME, as well as the number)
#12092 by scottlindner
Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:46 am
but2002 wrote:
scottlindner wrote:

Scott

I have yet to see a cell phone that would return the name, as well as the number. (Unless the name is already programmed into the phone) As for calling my parents, that doesn't work to tell, as I live with mother, so that doesn't work well either. And, none of my local friends has a landline I could call to test, they all have cell phones (As stated above, I want to test the NAME, as well as the number)

You are right about cell phones. My bad. I understand your request better. It would be cool if Ooma had a little test number for you to call on their website available only to Ooma owners (so other VOIP service subscribers can't use it). I tested mine with my work number but forgot that's what I did.

You can call me if you want and I will tell you. Send me a private email using the little email link next to my name so I can give you my telephone number privately.

Cheers,
Scott
#12096 by Groundhound
Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:54 am
I think ooma-ooma calls are not a good test, as the inbound caller ID will come from ooma's internal database which should show the correct information while the data a POTS customer would see for calls from your ooma phone might show something else, like "ooma, inc."
#12105 by but2002
Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:35 am
Groundhound wrote:I think ooma-ooma calls are not a good test, as the inbound caller ID will come from ooma's internal database which should show the correct information while the data a POTS customer would see for calls from your ooma phone might show something else, like "ooma, inc."

Indeed, I can't do an Ooma to Ooma call for this very reason, however, Scott, if you have a non-Ooma number I can call and contact, feel free to PM me with that number. I will be eternally grateful
#12106 by scottlindner
Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:51 am
but2002 wrote:
Groundhound wrote:I think ooma-ooma calls are not a good test, as the inbound caller ID will come from ooma's internal database which should show the correct information while the data a POTS customer would see for calls from your ooma phone might show something else, like "ooma, inc."

Indeed, I can't do an Ooma to Ooma call for this very reason, however, Scott, if you have a non-Ooma number I can call and contact, feel free to PM me with that number. I will be eternally grateful

I can't PM you since you don't have that option enabled at the moment.

Now that I think about it, my landline number is being ported today so the window of opportunity might be gone at any moment.

I didn't realize how hard this actually is!

Scott
#12108 by southsound
Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:20 am
But2002,

Same offer that Scott made. Click the email envelope beside my name and send me your number - I'll call you and give you mine so you can call my landline with CID.

And welcome to ooma!
#12112 by but2002
Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:52 am
Thank you very much for the assistance southsound. I hope that this issue of no names being displayed gets resolved soon, as it is a fair nuisance[code][/code] to people that I call that do not answer the phone for unavailable names, unless they know the number.
#12129 by southsound
Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:53 am
Just another thought about checking your CID if you don't have access to a landline. Most pizza places that do delivery use Caller ID to make sure the order is not a fake. Call your local Round Table or similar pizza place, ask if they use Caller ID and if so, what came up. Then do the right thing and order a pizza for their help. Tell them the Raccoon suggested it. Maybe a nice Veggie Supreme with extra cheese. Ummm. or is that ooom? :)