Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#11490 by Richard1
Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:29 pm
I have reviewed and attempted all of the suggestions to get my computer fax program. The results are always one of two responses, no answer or busy. After I start the fax I listen on my handset and the answering fax picks up but the my fax program never picks up the signal to begin training. I have turned off the pickup response, inititated *99, and reset the upload speed from 0 to 4290(the maximum recommended for setting the Qos) and used all the transmission setting from 14400 down to 1200. I have only noticed that others are using an all-in-one printer or a regular fax machine. I have not had the opportunity to receive a fax so I do not know if that works. Any new suggestions?
#11496 by bw1
Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:58 am
You can try 0 in both upload and download QOS. For some reason that seems to help fax/modem transmissions.

You can also add a wait (comma) after the *99.
#11497 by Richard1
Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:08 am
I have tried both suggestions in combination as well as individually.
Thanks for the suggestion.
#11498 by daet
Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:37 am
Richard1 wrote:I have tried both suggestions in combination as well as individually.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Are you connected to the hub or the scout? For me, the hub works, the scout does not.

DG
#11499 by Richard1
Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:47 am
I am connected to the hub via the wall jacks, the scout does not work with my setup. Also, the wall port on the hub is not active and I have the wall jack line plugged into the phone line.
#11600 by Richard1
Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:11 pm
This post is to confirm that my fax problem has been resolved.

It has been discovered that the fax unit must be plugged DIRECTLY into the phone jack on the BACK of the hub. My Fax modem was plugged into the whole house wiring and it was plugged into the phone jack.

Thanks, for the help from the forum and to Tech Support working with me to resolve the issue.
#11604 by pl1
Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:40 pm
Richard1 wrote:It has been discovered that the fax unit must be plugged DIRECTLY into the phone jack on the BACK of the hub. My Fax modem was plugged into the whole house wiring and it was plugged into the phone jack.
I had read that before. I wonder why that should matter, using whole house wiring? Weaker signal or something? I do know that fax over VOIP is usually a problem.
#11608 by WayneDsr
Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:59 pm
Many things affect house wiring. Wire length, hpna from the ooma hub to scout, dsl, old landline connection causing noise from voltage, and even the landline itself (when still connected). I had a hub/2nd scout issue that was fixed when I disconnected the old landline connection in the telco box.

Wayne
#11609 by pl1
Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:05 pm
WayneDsr wrote:Many things affect house wiring. Wire length, hpna from the ooma hub to scout, dsl, old landline connection causing noise from voltage, and even the landline itself (when still connected). I had a hub/2nd scout issue that was fixed when I disconnected the old landline connection in the telco box.Wayne
True, but anytime you are using whole house wiring for your VOIP (or digital phone like Comcast), you are supposed to disconnect it from the ILEC before plugging in. AAMOF, the voltage spike can damage your ATA. At least that's what I've always been told. I took no chances myself on that one. I just make sure there are no lights on my phone at any outlet before plugging in from the hub.
Last edited by pl1 on Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#11615 by Richard1
Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:58 pm
If I understand the programmer for the fax program I use the VOIP providers us electronic signals to maintain contact with the phones conected to their main hubs and this interfers with the fax programs being able to identify the tone that tells the fax it is okay to transmit. So plugging directly into the phone hub eliments that sigal from interferring with the transmission.