Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#11184 by zappullae
Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:45 am
daet wrote:
WayneDsr wrote:Heck, I get dropped calls every day on cell, mostly because you're moving around from cell to cell.
I can understand not wanting it to happen on the home phone, though.

Make sure your not calling someone on a cell, it could most likely be the cell dropping out.

Wayne

Dropped calls can happen just as easily for VoIP calls. ooma uses UDP as a transport - so I'm guessing if there are multiple lost packets in sequence, the result will likely be a dropped call. And the loss can happen at one one of the multiple routers between ooma's servers and my ooma hub.

DG

I've had VOIP on the same cable network for 3 years without a single dropped call. It just happened when on the phone with tech support. Luis wisely deduced its not an actual dropped call and being patient enough allowed the conversation to continue. So it seems like its dropped voice packets. This is particular to the ooma. Like I said, 0 problems with my other VOIP.

Long and short. I had to move the hub back between the cable modem and router so it can control the QOS. Never had a QOS problem before but with the ooma I do. I had moved it out under direction of tech support to perform speed tests.

I've had VOIP on the same cable network for 3 years without a single dropped call. It just happened when on the phone with tech support. Luis wisely deduced its not an actual dropped call and being patient enough allowed the conversation to continue. So it seems like its dropped voice packets. This is particular to the ooma. Like I said, 0 problems with my other VOIP.

Long and short. I had to move the hub back between the cable modem and router so it can control the QOS. Never had a QOS problem before but with the ooma I do. I had moved it out under direction of tech support to perform speed tests.
Last edited by zappullae on Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
#11187 by niknak
Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:48 am
sounds like you are on the right track to solve the issue
#11189 by lohertz
Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:52 am
I've had ooma for several months and only experienced a handful of dropped calls and that was at the beginning.

The reason behind my dropped calls was because my network settings were not "optimized". After tweaking router setting, (not just QoS engine) I have never had a dropped call since.

Maybe I'm lucky. Maybe there is a lot of "technical" stuff going on to make VoIP work and its an evolving process.

They can be inconvenient at times, but like others suggest, if it happens once in a great while, then there is nothing to be concerned about. If more frequently, then I would call customer service.
#11192 by zappullae
Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:34 pm
WayneDsr wrote:So are you good now?

Wayne

No, when speaking with tech support on 3 occasions the phone went total static for the first 30 sec. Connections take way too long to make. We noticed that using a 10 digit # made a connection faster then the 7 digit to the same number.
#11193 by zappullae
Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:35 pm
lohertz wrote:I've had ooma for several months and only experienced a handful of dropped calls and that was at the beginning.

The reason behind my dropped calls was because my network settings were not "optimized". After tweaking router setting, (not just QoS engine) I have never had a dropped call since.

Maybe I'm lucky. Maybe there is a lot of "technical" stuff going on to make VoIP work and its an evolving process.

They can be inconvenient at times, but like others suggest, if it happens once in a great while, then there is nothing to be concerned about. If more frequently, then I would call customer service.

We came to the conclusion that the calls aren't actully being dropped. Its that you can't hear the caller and vs vs. Wait 20 sec and the call resumes. QOS is supposed to fix this. We will see.
#11195 by WayneDsr
Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:42 pm
If you dial less then 10 digits hit the # sign to make the call go through faster.

Hope they get you fixed up, sounds like they're on to something.

Wayne
#11213 by niknak
Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:39 pm
...the phone went total static for the first 30 sec...

Are we sure the phone itself is not defective? Did you try switching to a known good phone and cable? Also maybe the cable to the handset is bad?

Static and hum usually indicates bad wiring somewhere
Last edited by niknak on Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
#11219 by zappullae
Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:25 am
niknak wrote:
...the phone went total static for the first 30 sec...

Are we sure the phone itself is not defective? Did you try switching to a known good phone and cable? Also maybe the cable to the hanset is bad?

Static and hum usually indicates bad wiring somewhere

The phone is fine. This just started showing up and its intermittent.
#11222 by jmassimilla
Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:35 am
I guess that there are a lot of variables involved here. For myself, I have Ooma installed after my router using Fios 20/5. From day one, I have never experienced dropped calls, echo, static, or anything else. I've never had to set up QOS. My calls have been crystal clear. It sounds clearer than my Verizon landline.