Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#11197 by WayneDsr
Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:46 pm
Yes it does work, then you don't need the scout in the other rooms.

Wayne
#11299 by lohertz
Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:06 am
ysn91650 wrote:i have Cat5 cable in all phone jack, instead of using a DSL splitter, why not tap the ooma hub "Phone" output into a unuse pair like Black T2 and Yellow R2 in the same DSL outlet, then i can plug my phone in any jack w/o scout at all, does it work?

because i know for sure i can put a splitter in the ooma hub "Phone" output w/ 2 phones, work fine

does it make sense?

Thats one of the better ways to go IMHO
#11302 by southsound
Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:39 am
ysn91650

Yes - as long as the pair from the telco is carrying only the DSL signal. The DSL Splitter separates the DSL signal from the voice signal. In most home situations with normal phones and DSL the telco gives you little microfilters to separate the two signals. When you have lots of phone devices (like I do) the microfilters and phones can actually hinder the DSL from working at top speed. If you are not using telco voice then your plan would be great.
#11315 by scottlindner
Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:50 pm
southsound wrote:ysn91650

Yes - as long as the pair from the telco is carrying only the DSL signal. The DSL Splitter separates the DSL signal from the voice signal. In most home situations with normal phones and DSL the telco gives you little microfilters to separate the two signals. When you have lots of phone devices (like I do) the microfilters and phones can actually hinder the DSL from working at top speed. If you are not using telco voice then your plan would be great.

I had the same problem so I ran a dedicated Cat5 line from the demarc to my network rack where my DSL modem is. That solved my DSL problems due to my home's phone wiring.

So far I haven't needed to use a splitter like you are referring to. I've been fortunate enough to maintain quality DSL performance using just the microfilters they give you.

Scott
#11349 by ysn91650
Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:57 am
i only have 3 dsl microfilter for 3 landline phone, 3 filter shouldn't drop my dsl performance right?

if i spent $45 to purchase a dsl splitter, will i see improvement on my dsl performance?
#11350 by southsound
Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:02 am
3 microfilters should not be a problem. In my case, 13 would have been. Give it a try - if you are not reaching about 85% - 90% of rated DSL speed, then you can make the investment in the splitter.

Of course, YMMV - I just wanted to make sure I had the best performance since the best I can get is 1.5mbps down (1.29mbs actual). Upload is 768mbps.
#11370 by ysn91650
Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:51 pm
scott:

any good site to test, are you talking about upload or download speed?
#11371 by scottlindner
Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:56 pm
ysn91650 wrote:scott:

any good site to test, are you talking about upload or download speed?

You know what I found to be the most useful when I figured out I needed to do something with my home's phone wiring was the DSL modem's built in QoS page. This isn't the same as a router's QoS settings page. This measures the quality of service of the ATM connection over the phone wires. If there is a forum for your DSL provider you can find out what the ideal numbers are for each of the measures. That's what I did and I kept fiddling with things until I got every number better than ideal conditions.

I'll see if I can dig up my current QoS measures to post so you have an idea of what I'm talking about. It's the DSL statistics such as train rate, SNR margin, attenuation, and errors.

Scott
#11439 by scottlindner
Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:35 pm
ysn91650 wrote:scott:
do all the DSL modem allow you to custom the QoS info?

No, not all do. However, what I'm referring to isn't IP level QoS settings, it's the DSL physical layer quality of service status you are getting from the phone company. Such as SNR. There are a bunch of measures that are important. I used the DSL modem status page to figure out the effects of my changes in wiring until I got everything ideal.

Scott