Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#11023 by jmar01
Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:06 pm
How is the Ooma quality with DSL? I have cable now, but may have to switch when I move. The best DSL I can get in my area is 3.0mbs.

Thanks,

Joe
#11024 by southsound
Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:13 pm
Several of us have DSL (mine is 1.5 mbs down / 768 up) and have stellar quality. In fact, since the DSL bandwidth is not shared, it is even better for ooma than cable in many cases. Less jitter, better QOS. DSL does bring a few minor challenges - you need to make sure you keep the DSL signal, the voice signal and the HPNA signal for the scout separate. If you need, I can link a couple of my posts regarding use of a DSL splitter to keep things separate and maximize your DSL experience.
#11025 by scottlindner
Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:59 pm
There is a lot of suspicion that VOIP quality will be better with DSL over Cable. The bandwidth might be lower than Cable, but the quality of service is a lot higher than Cable. You only need 48kbps per line of Ooma. That's nothing, even for the slowest DSL.

Scott
#11030 by WayneDsr
Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:14 pm
I'll have to back Scott up on that.

Wayne
#11045 by ysn91650
Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:19 am
i never able to got my scout to work whenever i connect the scout's "wall" connection to ther other room "wall" phone jack(no dsl filter), and i have dsl with active landline.

however, i can connect my scout's 'wall' connection to the ooma's base unit 'wall' connection, it works this way, but that defeat the purpose of the scout, the scout should be in other room not in the same room as based unit.

can any one help?
#11049 by WayneDsr
Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:36 am
First of all, I have my Scout next to my hub. For me it's the perfect setup. I have access to both lines from one spot. Cordless phones distributed through out the house.

You problem is due to the DSL on your line interfering with the HPNA that the scout and hub use to communicate. In order to fix this, you need to isolate the dsl from the line. You do this by using the 2nd phone pair in your home. By using a DSL splitter (preferably in your telco box outside) you plug the filter into the main phone line in, one side of the splitter goes to line one and the other side of the splitter goes to line 2 of the house wiring.
This puts DSL only on the line going to your modem.
Then you need to switch the pair in the wall jack that the Scout will be plugging into in order to use line 2.

Search this forum to find diagrams.

Sound complicated?

Doesn't the Scout look better next to the hub now? :-)

Wayne
#11050 by southsound
Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:53 am
For those who have a problem with DSL and Scout usage, I thought I would copy some of my previous posts and put them together in one post.

southsound wrote:I believe that the Wilcom PS-15 will solve your problem. Click the following link to see how it is wired: http://www.wilcominc.com/product_pdfs/PS-15%20schematic.pdf

You just need to put the PS-15 before all the rest of the phone wiring - and when you do, you can hook up the scout as required. The leads that feed the telephones are completely free of DSL signal, but will pass the required signals for the Scout to work. In this application, you will NOT need any additional DSL microfilters or splitters.

If you have access to where the line comes in from the network interface (usually on the outside of the house) you can place this device ahead of all the interior phone wiring. In our house, the line runs from the network interface to a connection block. The PS-15 has both terminal strip and RJ-11 connections for the line from the telco, the DSL modem, and the telephones. With this device, the modem is not affected by anything on the voice side of the device - and you do not need the DSL microfilters in front of the ooma hub or at each phone. Cost should be about $40 with shipping.

The DSL Splitter is a different device than the microfilter supplied by the telco. In fact, although they have been around for quite a while and Wilcom is a common supplier to the telcos, my installer had never seen one and wanted me to use the microfilters. I had him put his test gear on the splitter and he was amazed. The splitter is still a passive device, but works where the microfilters will not. I knew I needed one because I had over 13 phone devices in our home. No all were phones - 2 ReplayTVs, fax machines, cordless phones, DishNetwork, etc. You can read about the device at the following link: http://www.wilcominc.com/item.cfm?ProdID=35
#11053 by lohertz
Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:03 am
Like Wayne and Southsound stated above, the issues of HPNA conflict have been discussed in length and various work arounds varying in complexity. Most require $0. A little time and you can get it working.

As to the QOS in for cable v DSL and speed, I run 1.5Mbps down and 384Kbps and have never had an issue once my network was configured properly.

DSL is superior just because its not a shared hub at the node. The problem is the bandwidth available over 2 copper lines, however, dual ADSL may be in the near future for some, that would be nice.
#11054 by WayneDsr
Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:03 am
I have to add to Southsound's reply. I am using the dsl splitter that originally came with my dsl modem and it does work for me. Didn't need to purchase a different one.

YMMV.

Wayne
#11191 by ysn91650
Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:38 pm
i have Cat5 cable in all phone jack, instead of using a DSL splitter, why not tap the ooma hub "Phone" output into a unuse pair like Black T2 and Yellow R2 in the same DSL outlet, then i can plug my phone in any jack w/o scout at all, does it work?

because i know for sure i can put a splitter in the ooma hub "Phone" output w/ 2 phones, work fine

does it make sense?