Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#596 by kinorob
Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:14 am
Okay, as a premiere customer, if I sign up for a second phone number and assign that phone number to ring at my Ooma scout, I understand that when someone calls that number, it will only ring at the scout.

But when someone calls my original "main" Ooma number, will it ring at both my hub and my scout?

I would prefer to have one number ring both, and the other number ring only the scout, with a differentiated ring. This seems like the best solution for having a second number in my home at the moment. Is this the way it works? Is it possible?

I've had this question from day one when reading about the second line and how you can assign it to ring at a scout. But this question isn't really addressed anywhere.

Thanks.
#598 by trim81
Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:44 am
To the best of my knowledge, if you set the scout to have its own private, independent number......the Hub will NOT ring (scout will be independent of your setup)

WHat you are looking to do is a VIRTUAL number for the Hub (you can add a secondary number to the Hub)

However, keep in mind the scout will remain independent from your setup. (will not ring if the Hub rings)

-someone correct me if I am wrong..but I am pretty sure thats how it works.
#599 by kjennings
Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:09 am
I asked the same question when I was on the phone with support a few weeks ago. You can either have them split to ring on separate devices (hub vs. scout), or you can have them shared and both ring on all devices.

If you setup the shared device approach, you can still have them differentiated with distinct ring patterns.
#601 by kinorob
Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:24 pm
Thank you for the prompt responses. It's a little unclear how exactly it works in the Ooma documentation.
#646 by jairoserna
Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:50 am
I am not clear about the difference between a second line with its own number and a "virtual" second line with only one number. A second number requires you to sign for the "Premiere service". How about the "virtual" second line, where you can place calls while someone is on the phone. Do you need to sign for "Premiere" service to use this feature?
#647 by trim81
Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:10 am
jairoserna wrote:I am not clear about the difference between a second line with its own number and a "virtual" second line with only one number. A second number requires you to sign for the "Premiere service". How about the "virtual" second line, where you can place calls while someone is on the phone. Do you need to sign for "Premiere" service to use this feature?

Virtual number is...a Virtual Number.

You have a secondary number that people call and it rings your normal number -(basically a second TELEPHONE NUMBER). This is useful for say you live in CA, but have relatives in NY.. so you get yourself a NY virtual number and your relatives can call the NY number (as local to them), and it gets forwarded to your main line.

To use the second Scout feature, (ring phone while somone is talking), yes you need to be Ooma Premiere for that service. ---This is the same or also known as; "call hunting"