Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#10369 by richc
Wed May 27, 2009 4:58 pm
It is been over 3 month and my number has not been ported, when I call
ooma support they keep giving me the run around first they tell me to call windstream which should be there job, and ask them why my number has not been ported. They said they have not recieved anything from omma. I call ooma back they said they talk to a special department of Windstream and they told me my number will be ported by first date was in april , now may 23 they said my number is to be ported. Well people it hasn't. this is bull shit. I wish I could speak to the owner. Since his staff is not Brightest or just plain lie. OH yes when I ask ooma to give me that special number they called windstream they will not give me the number!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OOMA CUSTOMERS BEWARE

Sincerely:
Pissed off customer
#10378 by pl1
Wed May 27, 2009 5:52 pm
richc wrote:It is been over 3 month and my number has not been ported, when I call
ooma support they keep giving me the run around first they tell me to call windstream which should be there job, and ask them why my number has not been ported.
I agree that you have a rough story there. One thing I've learned is to always start out with an ILEC's phone number since the ILEC can always pull the number back to them. For example, in my case, the ILEC is Verizon. If I port the number to Ooma and I decide to get it back with Verizon, it's an instant port back. This is not necessarily true when other carriers supply the number. Do you know if Windstream is your ILEC? I can't even tell these days if they are a cable company or a phone company.

Anyway, a lot of the blame really lies with the owner of that phone number. And, it might help if you contact someone like the DPU or FCC. That might rattle some cages.

For an opposite experience, I started a port with Ooma Friday afternoon, I received two emails on Tuesday, with a turnover date of Jun 8th, and as of today, when I log in to my Verizon account, I can only pay my final bill.
#10380 by doug
Wed May 27, 2009 6:00 pm
pl1 wrote:One thing I've learned is to always start out with an ILEC's phone number since the ILEC can always pull the number back to them. For example, in my case, the ILEC is Verizon. If I port the number to Ooma and I decide to get it back with Verizon, it's an instant port back.

Can you elaborate on this? One of things I have seen mentioned in the forums is a perceived fear of porting a number they have had for years over to Ooma, and then losing it should something unforseen happen and Ooma not be able to help with porting numbers back out.

Once a number is ported, how can they "always pull the number back to them" and get an "instant port back"?
#10382 by pl1
Wed May 27, 2009 6:06 pm
doug wrote:Can you elaborate on this? One of things I have seen mentioned in the forums is a perceived fear of porting a number they have had for years over to Ooma, and then losing it should something unforseen happen and Ooma not be able to help with porting numbers back out.
Once a number is ported, how can they "always pull the number back to them" and get an "instant port back"?
For example, I had a Verizon line that was ported over to Mediaone. When I wanted to cancel and return to Verizon, the number was instantly retrieved for my Verizon service.

Another time, I had Comcast issue me a number and when I wanted to cancel service, it was much more difficult to get the number back to Verizon because Comcast owned the number. I ended up getting a new number.

I was told by Verizon that when THEY own a block of numbers, they have full control of them since the other carriers are technically borrowing them.

Now, that's what I was told, and your mileage may vary, but if you think about it, it makes the most sense since the ILEC really controls ALL of the numbers in your locality.

Doing a little search and I found a pretty good thread on the porting process http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/r ... ng-process
#10690 by johnz8
Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:12 pm
richc wrote:It is been over 3 month and my number has not been ported, when I call
ooma support they keep giving me the run around first they tell me to call windstream which should be there job, and ask them why my number has not been ported. They said they have not recieved anything from omma. I call ooma back they said they talk to a special department of Windstream and they told me my number will be ported by first date was in april , now may 23 they said my number is to be ported. Well people it hasn't. this is bull shit. I wish I could speak to the owner. Since his staff is not Brightest or just plain lie. OH yes when I ask ooma to give me that special number they called windstream they will not give me the number!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OOMA CUSTOMERS BEWARE

Mine took 3 weeks. It happened on the day they said it would. I was worried about dry loop issues. There were no with my DSL. You jut need to be dry looped beyond the Dmark and into your house as it turns out. The warning you get from OOMA is not clear enough on this. I went out to my land line connection outside and disconnected the wires to be sure.

Sincerely:
Pissed off customer
#10693 by niknak
Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:20 pm
Can you elaborate on this?....

....Once a number is ported, how can they "always pull the number back to them" and get an "instant port back

...I was told by Verizon that when THEY own a block of numbers, they have full control of them since the other carriers are technically borrowing them.

...the ILEC really controls ALL of the numbers in your locality.

All you mention is correct
The ILEC always controls the numbers, by law they must make the number available for LNP if requested by a customer (with few exceptions)
#11072 by Phyllis
Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:45 am
I am having the same problem you are with porting my number. It has been over 3 months since I requested they port my number from Time-Warner Cable. Ooma can't explain the delay and they offer no advice or solutions whatsoever. Meanwhile I'm continuing to pay for telephone service each month that goes by.
#11086 by bw1
Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:06 pm
Most (if not all) issues and delays with porting are the result of the company you're porting from. What incentive do they have to cooperate? They are losing business.

The only thing ooma can do better is communication and from what I've read here that has been improving.